Windows Steady State Turns OFF automatically RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop running Windows XP Pro. I turned Windows Disk Protection on Steady State and set it to 3 years. Worked with the laptop for one day without any issues. At the end of the day I did a proper shutdown (Start-Shutdown). Next day I logged in without any issues and the program was working fine. By the middle of the day I re-started it not properly or might have just hold down the power button and when logging in back Steady State pop up message stating " The next time you log off of the computer or the computer restarts, all changes will be cleared from the hard disk. Save your files to removable media to avoid losing your work."

Why did Steady State gave me that message if I told it to do it in 3 years from now?

Please HELP!!

Thank You
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi davidem123, thanks for the post. I’d like to inform you that if the shutdown is dirty, Windows Disk Protection will revert to discard mode. When the system is not shut down normally, WDP reverts to "remove all changes at restart" because the disk is not guaranteed to be in a consistent state under those circumstances. This is by design. We will see if this can be improved in the next version.

Thank you for your understanding.  

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:02 AM