2 issued with live search... RRS feed

• Question

• First thing...my site dissappeared after being in the top 5 for months..... now i only have links to my RSS feeds...???

second, i put in my robots.txt file:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /addons/
    Disallow: /include/
    Disallow: /install-/
    Disallow: /newsletter/
    Disallow: /NHMweb/

and i got the error of: Warning: 'sitemap' - tag isn't specified.

what is that about?
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:44 PM

Answers

• Your second issue is discussed here:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2540942&SiteID=79

As for your first issue...  there have been many webmasters on these forums complained about similar issues... these issues seem to be related to the new algoritm released start of October. Everyone is waiting for a response, but I have the feeling that none of the Microsoft personel on these forums is currently at liberty to discuss beyond the standard response. I think there are several options here:

1. This is exactly how the new algo is supposed to work and overall it creates good search results. Our pages are just not good enough to rank in Live search.

2. The new algo is working great and results are good, but the unfortunate side effect is that a very small number of sites are removed from the index.

3. The new algo, or the implementation of it has some bugs and this causes the issues.

All we can do at the moment I think is to wait patiently for the official response to find out where we stand: Do we need to rework our pages or will Live search make changes that will help.

Bart Jellema
    http://www.tjoos.com

Friday, December 14, 2007 11:50 AM
  • Bart,

This is a really good response and I appreciate your thoughtfulness.   There are lots of great resources out on the web about some basic things you can do to improve the rank of your site.  I boil them down to a few things:

1. Create great content
    2. Get your content noticed
    3. Build on the natural popularity of people noticing your site

When people deviate from natural search engine optimization, that is when they risk losing rank.  We have a couple of recommended reading sites (and I may post more in the future) on our blog, but there are many others that are really good too. 

SEOMoz

Search Engine Land

Cheers

Jeremiah

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:02 PM

All replies

• Your second issue is discussed here:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2540942&SiteID=79

As for your first issue...  there have been many webmasters on these forums complained about similar issues... these issues seem to be related to the new algoritm released start of October. Everyone is waiting for a response, but I have the feeling that none of the Microsoft personel on these forums is currently at liberty to discuss beyond the standard response. I think there are several options here:

1. This is exactly how the new algo is supposed to work and overall it creates good search results. Our pages are just not good enough to rank in Live search.

2. The new algo is working great and results are good, but the unfortunate side effect is that a very small number of sites are removed from the index.

3. The new algo, or the implementation of it has some bugs and this causes the issues.

All we can do at the moment I think is to wait patiently for the official response to find out where we stand: Do we need to rework our pages or will Live search make changes that will help.

Bart Jellema
    http://www.tjoos.com

Friday, December 14, 2007 11:50 AM
  • Bart,

This is a really good response and I appreciate your thoughtfulness.   There are lots of great resources out on the web about some basic things you can do to improve the rank of your site.  I boil them down to a few things:

1. Create great content
    2. Get your content noticed
    3. Build on the natural popularity of people noticing your site

When people deviate from natural search engine optimization, that is when they risk losing rank.  We have a couple of recommended reading sites (and I may post more in the future) on our blog, but there are many others that are really good too. 

SEOMoz

Search Engine Land

Cheers

Jeremiah

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:02 PM