Crm development versus asp.net development RRS feed

• Question

• We have been developing using asp.net for many years. We have been developing multi user systems using asp.net front end web applications and SQL server backend Db's. Recently our company purchased a ms dynamics crm system. We have developed a contact centre type system in crm. All systems developed by us are in house used. The management of our department is now proposing developing all future systems in CRM even systems that are not customer focused . I am concerned that management of our department may be going down the wrong road. I was always of the opinion that CRM should only be used for customer focused systems ? Who is correct me or management ? What do you think ?
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:08 PM

Answers

• The question is interesting, here my thoughts.

1) There isn't a wrong road and a right road, if you develop a solution on top of CRM or a "start from scratch" software, you will have advantages and disadvantages in both situations, some examples: will be more easy for others to build reports when your data is stored inside a CRM entity or in your DB? will be more easy for you tu use CRM roles and business units or build your security model?

2) modern CRM systems are defined as xRM (extended relationship management or anything relationship management) so the propose of your management is right, but this doesn't mean that the use of CRM will be their Panacea. Maybe for a project to use CRM will reduce the time to develop the software, for another project will increase the time (for example is necessary more time to build fetchxml reports, only way for crm online environments, for who used always T-SQL)

3) You asked the question here, a crm forum, so you can't expect complete objective opinions, if you ask the same question in another forum you will get always not objective replies.

For my experience, I like dynamics crm, and more important I know the strengths of the platform, so I can decide and suggest when dynamics crm will be a plus for the project, Computer science is so big, why we need to prohibit us to take advantage from a particular technology?

My blog: www.crmanswers.net

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:59 PM
  • I think both of you could be right! Because of wide range of facilities and capabilities in Dynamics CRM, you could develop almost every system in it. As an example, you could develop your own Financial system in it. Lots of companies tend to integrate all their systems, hence handling all businesses in a unique system could be useful for them. Even, I saw HRM systems that have been developed in CRM. On the other hand, the package of Dynamics products has been developed to met all the requirements. Although the UI and the development capabilities differ, but products such as AX or NAV could be used alongside with CRM, and they could cover HRM and financial or inventory system requirements. 

As a conclusion, you could develop all your systems in CRM or you could only use it as a customer relationship management. Both depends on your conditions. I prefer to develop simple systems on CRM (such as asset management), while for complex systems integration are prefered.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.
    My Weblog -- My Website -- My Facebook

Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:01 PM

All replies

• The question is interesting, here my thoughts.

1) There isn't a wrong road and a right road, if you develop a solution on top of CRM or a "start from scratch" software, you will have advantages and disadvantages in both situations, some examples: will be more easy for others to build reports when your data is stored inside a CRM entity or in your DB? will be more easy for you tu use CRM roles and business units or build your security model?

2) modern CRM systems are defined as xRM (extended relationship management or anything relationship management) so the propose of your management is right, but this doesn't mean that the use of CRM will be their Panacea. Maybe for a project to use CRM will reduce the time to develop the software, for another project will increase the time (for example is necessary more time to build fetchxml reports, only way for crm online environments, for who used always T-SQL)

3) You asked the question here, a crm forum, so you can't expect complete objective opinions, if you ask the same question in another forum you will get always not objective replies.

For my experience, I like dynamics crm, and more important I know the strengths of the platform, so I can decide and suggest when dynamics crm will be a plus for the project, Computer science is so big, why we need to prohibit us to take advantage from a particular technology?

My blog: www.crmanswers.net

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:59 PM
  • I think both of you could be right! Because of wide range of facilities and capabilities in Dynamics CRM, you could develop almost every system in it. As an example, you could develop your own Financial system in it. Lots of companies tend to integrate all their systems, hence handling all businesses in a unique system could be useful for them. Even, I saw HRM systems that have been developed in CRM. On the other hand, the package of Dynamics products has been developed to met all the requirements. Although the UI and the development capabilities differ, but products such as AX or NAV could be used alongside with CRM, and they could cover HRM and financial or inventory system requirements. 

As a conclusion, you could develop all your systems in CRM or you could only use it as a customer relationship management. Both depends on your conditions. I prefer to develop simple systems on CRM (such as asset management), while for complex systems integration are prefered.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.
    My Weblog -- My Website -- My Facebook

Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:01 PM