Best use Disk Mirror or WHS Backup RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way of saving the data on WHS 2011 when 2 drives of 1 TB each are attached:

Disk Mirroring of drive C: and D: to the 2nd physical disk (or at least D: since it contains the data)

or

Make use of the WHS backup functionality and backup C:, D:, System State etc to the 2nd disk configured as Backup device.

• Moved by Ken Warren Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:11 AM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:37 AM

All replies

• The best way to protect your data is to back your server up to disks that you rotate off site regularly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Make use of the WHS backup functionality and backup C:, D:, System State etc to the 2nd disk configured as Backup device.
    With the disks you have, that is what I would do - you can always add more disks later. This may be adequate depending on the amount of data you have.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:21 AM
  • On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:37:03 +0000, PLeJeune wrote:

What is the best way of saving the data on WHS 2011 when 2 drives of 1 TB each are attached:

Disk Mirroring of drive C: and D: to the 2nd physical disk (or at least D: since it contains the data)

or

Make use of the WHS backup functionality and backup C:, D:, System State etc to the 2nd disk configured as Backup device.

RAID (mirroring in your case) is a high availability solution and not a
    backup/disaster recovery solution.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    1 bull, 3 cows.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Ah, I should have put my question a little different. I ment 'how to secure my data from disk failure in such a way that I can quickly bring back the server and data'. I have nearly 1 GB data and client backups but that's probably increasing (as data always does).

My problem is that I am used to WHS 1st edition with DE. I had a diskfailure once (disk with system partition) and I could easily bring it all back to service with a new disk and the data stored on the 2nd disk.
    Now DE has gone I feel I have to choose between Mirror and WHS Backup and I don't know yet how easy it will be to restore service in case of failure with either method.

Ken Warren and Paul Adare are right of course, backup of the data should be done on media which can -preferably- be put off site.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:01 PM
  • The method I suggested would allow you to do that. However, as backup runs only a few times per day, any new data written to the server is vulnerable in the intervening period between backups. Perhaps a mirror or preferably a hardware RAID with server backup and disks rotated off site would be the most secure method - depends how important the data is and how much of it you have especially that which is essential not to loose. For example ripped CDs / DVDs can be recreated even if it takes time.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Windows Home server 2011 includes bare metal restore functionality for the server as well as clients. So a server backup is likely to be the least frustrating method of dealing with a potential disk failure (some RAID HBAs are, umm, "temperamental" about getting a broken array working again), and it's a more robust method of protecting data than RAID.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Phew, you guys are fast!

I think it is wise to setup a testserver and play a little with alle available methods to acquire the confidence that I'm able to restore data and service in case of failure.

Thanks to all for 'thinking with me'.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:28 PM