Provision / deployment sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application and to deploy it to date while in the testing phase I've been doing the following:

1. Make a backup of the unprovisioned database from a development machine and restore it on the server.
    2. Provision the server followed by provisioning the client
    3. Sync the databases
    4. Take a backup of the synced database on the development machine and use that for the client installations

I wonder if that process can be improved? Step 3 the sync currently downloads all records which takes 45 minutes, not that it causes a major problem.

The immediate problem is that with the system going live I'd like to maintain a seperate test database on the client machines derived from an SQL/Server backup of the live database included with the installation. I restore to a new name and have logic to change the various connection strings and do a post-restore fixup but of course because it's a different restore it triggers a sync of all records from the server which would probably take six hours or so on slower connections.

I'm wondering if there's an easy way I can effectively mark the database as 'up to date'? I realise it's probably not a good practice but the integrity of the test database isn't especially important. However it would still be good to be able to sync the data for problem shooting and to update the seperate test web pages that rely on the data.

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:03 AM

All replies

• as I have mentioned on your StackOverflow post, you need to run PerformPostRestoreFixup whenever you restore a back up of a previously provisioned database. PerformPostRestoreFixup  should be run before you sync the restored database the first time.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 2:13 PM