Bulk Emails with Attachments RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it possible to send email attachments to contacts stored in marketing lists. I can send bulk emails via creating campaigns however i cannot send word documents, etc as attachments. is there an easy way round this?

thanks.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Sharan,

I believe the answer is no. We've just implemented a 3rd party solution at a customer who is running CRM 3.0 and wanted to send bulk emails and newsletters with attachments.

Usually bulk emails and attachments use up a great deal of bandwidth so these are handled by dedicated email servers. For example sending 2000 contacts a 200KB attachment quickly becomes a 400MB upstream chuck of emails, which many customers don't want to deal with.

Let me know if you would like more info.

Cheers,

Karlo

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:33 PM
  • I do not think it is possible. There are three ways you can go about doing it:

1. If it makes sense, convert the word document to another format, such as an image and have this image available in a public webserver. You can then link these images in your email and have them appear as if they are embedded in the email itself. However, this is only if your word document does not have a lot of information.
    2. Use a third party plugin to enable email attachments with bulk emailing.
    3. Outsource your entire bulk emailing operations to a service provider.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:13 AM
  • I am the project manager for our companies implementation of CRM.  We are still in the process of preparing for a full implementation of CRM, but I have developed a variety of opinions based on insights gained over the past year.  In my opinion, attaching a document as part of a mass (bulk) e-mail is not as efficient as building the content within the e-mail -  incorporating hyperlinks in the e-mail to additional content or option to download a copy (i.e. PDF) of the document from your companies web server/platform. 

We do this with our weekly e-mail newsletters (and they don't include document attachments), but include the content that directs the recipient to our web-site, or includes hyperlinks to documents (or additional content).

TB

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Sharan,

I believe the answer is no. We've just implemented a 3rd party solution at a customer who is running CRM 3.0 and wanted to send bulk emails and newsletters with attachments.

Usually bulk emails and attachments use up a great deal of bandwidth so these are handled by dedicated email servers. For example sending 2000 contacts a 200KB attachment quickly becomes a 400MB upstream chuck of emails, which many customers don't want to deal with.

Let me know if you would like more info.

Cheers,

Karlo

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:33 PM
  • I do not think it is possible. There are three ways you can go about doing it:

1. If it makes sense, convert the word document to another format, such as an image and have this image available in a public webserver. You can then link these images in your email and have them appear as if they are embedded in the email itself. However, this is only if your word document does not have a lot of information.
    2. Use a third party plugin to enable email attachments with bulk emailing.
    3. Outsource your entire bulk emailing operations to a service provider.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:13 AM
  • I am the project manager for our companies implementation of CRM.  We are still in the process of preparing for a full implementation of CRM, but I have developed a variety of opinions based on insights gained over the past year.  In my opinion, attaching a document as part of a mass (bulk) e-mail is not as efficient as building the content within the e-mail -  incorporating hyperlinks in the e-mail to additional content or option to download a copy (i.e. PDF) of the document from your companies web server/platform. 

We do this with our weekly e-mail newsletters (and they don't include document attachments), but include the content that directs the recipient to our web-site, or includes hyperlinks to documents (or additional content).

TB

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:47 PM