OneCare Backup Freezes/Hangs While Backing Up RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using OneCare for backups since September.  I have the software set to back up once weekly.  This week, like normal, I connected my external USB drive and started the backup.  When I came back to my computer a while later, the computer had frozen up and had to be hard reset.  Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't even work.  I tried a couple more times with the same result.  Next, I reformatted my external drive and attempted to complete a full backup.  I tried this several times, with the same freezing/hanging.  Has anyone encountered this before?  Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
    Theron
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 1:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Theron, try running chkdsk to scan for and repair any file system errors then run backup. If this does not resolve the issue please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Jim - I did run chkdsk, and there were no problems found.  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled OneCare.  I have successfully copied 5GB of files to the drive, so it seems to be reading and writing.  The link that you posted takes me to the same "Reaching Support" page that led me to this discussion group.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Theron
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Hello Theron, send an e-mail with One care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you reach support.
    Jim
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Jim - Thanks for your help.  I have not yet called support because I have been very busy.  I did want to report an interesting new twist to the story.  My mother purchased a Dell laptop, and I added it my OneCare circle.  I set my external drive as a central backup device.  It is drive G: on my laptop.  I am able to use OneCare to back up her files to my disk, but my backups still will not complete.  The indicator gets anywhere from 18%-68% and then my computer just hangs.  I have to do a hard reset with the power button.  I'll let you know what I find out from support as soon as I am able to call them.  Thanks again for your help.

Theron
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Jim- I just wanted to thank you again for your help and let you know that support was able to resolve the issue.  I had run ChkDsk on my external drive, and it was fine.  It turns out that the problem was on my hard disk!  I never would have considered that.  I ran ChkDsk, it fixed the bad sector, and now everything works beautifully.  Thanks again!

-Theron
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back Theron.I'm glad to hear you finally got the issue resolved.
    Jim
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:29 PM