Cannot connect from client to server through connector software. RRS feed

• Question

• My subject sounds like a lot of others, but it's different (I think).

I have my Home Server and a Laptop (running Windows 7 RTM).  I also have a desktop which isn't set up to connect to the server (because it's running the RC version of Windows 7).  The connector software is installed on the laptop.  I have my DNS routed through OpenDNS (which may be part of the issue).

If I double-click on the connector software, and enter my password, I get the following message: "This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

The automatic backups through the connector work as scheduled.  The server has not been restarted, as I'm sitting right next to it and can see the screen.  I can close that box, and open Shared Folders and see everything stored in them on the server.  I can connect to it by going to dickeyhome.homeserver.com and loggging in.  If I type DCKY-HM-SVR (the server name) into the webbrowser, I get a certificate error (the certificate is registered to *.opendns.com) and can't log in.  I can also open Remote Desktop Connection, and connect to the server through the Administrator account that way (my user is not set up to remote in through Terminal Services yet).

Right now, the connector icon is Yellow for the Network Health, however it's green on the server.

I'm at a loss here.  Short of reinstalling the connector software (which I can do if I have to), I'm not sure what I can do to fix this.  And I'm not sure if it's because OpenDNS is handling my local zone (through their network functions) or something else. 

My questions are 1) Are there any steps to correct this?  2)  If I enter the local IP and server name in my Hosts file, will that become an issue when I take the laptop to other locations?

Thanks and have a great day:)
    Patrick.
    Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:08 PM

Answers

• It turns out that I was mistaken on my issue.  The laptop wouldn't connect at all, regardless of changing the hosts file.  My desktop wouldn't connect if the server was under a high load (like when I was copying 650 G worth of data over to the server).  The cause of it was something extremely simple that I was overlooking.

My laptop's "full computer name" is dcky-7-prtbl.local.lan and my server's full name is dcky-hm-svr (notice the difference because it was the issue).  I removed the .local.lan from the laptop and everything connects like it's supposed to (except if the server is under high CPU, then the connectors won't find it).

So, for my question, there really wasn't an answer.  But if someone's was close to that, I'll mark it.  It just goes to show that you need to check every little detail--regardless of what the error appears to be.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:25 PM

All replies

• The best answer is probably to drop OpenDNS. They don't comply with the RFCs that are relevant to DNS in some important regards, and as a result they tend to break Windows Home Server in this and similar ways.

If you decide you'd rather edit your hosts file on all clients, you'll have one significant problem, though it isn't insurmountable: additional network configuration that needs to be maintained on every PC which is separate from the standard Windows interfaces for network connection maintenance.

As for taking the laptop elsewhere and having a problem due to your hosts file: only if the location you take it to also has a DCKY-HM-SVR which has a different IP address.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I'm currently registered on Connect in the WHS beta. Originally I was in the NDA Tech beta, but due to lack of participation (I couldn't afford to purchase Home Server or a server with it installed), I got knocked out to the Public Beta.  When I checked this past week, all that was up is Power Pack 1.  I already have the "Beta version of Power Pack 3" from when it was up earlier this month.  However, I'm debating about waiting to see when the next beta version is posted, or installing it (and uninstalling it when the next version arrives).

For Ken, what do I have to do in order to overcome the problem that you mentioned?  I already added the IP address to my hosts file, and everything **seems** to be working ok.  Can you elaborate, please?

Patrick.

• Edited by brubberModerator Friday, October 2, 2009 6:23 AM removed the quote since it's not correct for the current build availbale on connect
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Your hosts file is the additional network configuration I spoke of. Should your server's IP address change at some point, you'll have to edit it on every PC you use to access the server. It's pretty likely you'll have forgotten that you need to do this, by the time you actually need to do it, if you follow me. :)
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:01 PM
  • You may also want to checkout the post from user Amnis marked as an answer in this thread

Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and I'm NOT using OpenDNS so I seriously doubt that's the problem. In addition to the error quoted in the OP, I see this in the event viewer:

"Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer ABIT uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established."

Reinstalling the connector (Vistax64) does not help...

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:31 AM
  • I'm having the same problem ...
    "Same error message" does not equal "same problem".

The OP has resolved his issue by modifying his hosts file. Has that had any effect in your case?

Friday, October 2, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Same symptom, same error message...close enough for me. ;)

Unfortunately, no, it hasn't helped and even installing PP3 Beta didn't help. I don't even know when it started exactly, I don't use the WHS Console too often but I'll keep looking...

EDIT:
    Well, it's fixed but I'm not sure why. I fast-switched to the administrator user on this Vista x64 box and attempted to connect to the WHS which caused the WHS to spontaneously reboot. When it came back up, I switched back to the normal user and the console was working. *shrug*

Friday, October 2, 2009 5:50 AM
    EDIT:
    Well, it's fixed but I'm not sure why. I fast-switched to the administrator user on this Vista x64 box and attempted to connect to the WHS which caused the WHS to spontaneously reboot. When it came back up, I switched back to the normal user and the console was working. *shrug*

Is the user who was logged on when installing the updated connector an administrator? Do you have UAC turned on? Is it possible that you have a UAC issue on that PC? I had a problem like that with Vista early on, where a user who was an administrator lost admin privileges as a result of UAC. I had to log in using the "emergency" administrator account to fix the problem, if I recall correctly (it was a while ago).
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Yes, the user is in the Administrators group and yes, UAC is ON, so it could be UAC related and logging in as admin may have fixed it somehow. The spontaneous reboot was still strange. *shrug*
    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:20 PM
  • It turns out that I was mistaken on my issue.  The laptop wouldn't connect at all, regardless of changing the hosts file.  My desktop wouldn't connect if the server was under a high load (like when I was copying 650 G worth of data over to the server).  The cause of it was something extremely simple that I was overlooking.

My laptop's "full computer name" is dcky-7-prtbl.local.lan and my server's full name is dcky-hm-svr (notice the difference because it was the issue).  I removed the .local.lan from the laptop and everything connects like it's supposed to (except if the server is under high CPU, then the connectors won't find it).

So, for my question, there really wasn't an answer.  But if someone's was close to that, I'll mark it.  It just goes to show that you need to check every little detail--regardless of what the error appears to be.

Patrick.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:25 PM