protocol mismatch with Connector when adding new computer after applying / removing PP3 beta RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS running on a Dell 710 xps,
    Had PP2 installed and two computers joined and running to WHS
    Installed PP3 beta, caused BSOD on Dell 710 xps (Graphic driver BADDNESS!!), Since the Dell xps 710 isn't exactly standard machine for WHS, I uninstallled PP3, BSOD went away.
    Everything seems to be happy and running fine on current computers. 

Tried to add a new install of Windows 7 Ultimate RTM on clean machine.  Able to surf to WHS and run connector software from http://<servername>:55000
    Runs fine until it it time for me to type in the WHS password, at which point if I put in an incorrect password it identifies it as such, but if I put in the correct password, I am told:

"this operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later. if the problem persists, please contact Product Support"

Looking in the event log I find an error of:

"Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer <servername> uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established."

doing a google search it appears that my connector software is correct for the download of PP2, BUT when attempting to connect up a new client, the WHS is reporting that it is still in version 0.  I have seen notes that I should attempt to uninstall and reinstall PP2, but Windows Update tells me that PP2 can not be installed.

Is it possible that PP3's uninstall has made an incorrect modification to my WHS installation / communication framework? is there a way to reverse this?

How do I fix this issue?

here is the exact entry in the event log

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="53247">1807</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>7</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-08-16T02:01:23.000000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>757</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>Galileo7</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>6.0.2030.2</Data>
      <Data>LCARS</Data>
      <Data>6.0.2030.0</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    matthew Hintzen
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:08 AM

Answers

Installed PP3 beta, caused BSOD on Dell 710 xps (Graphic driver BADDNESS!!), Since the Dell xps 710 isn't exactly standard machine for WHS, I uninstallled PP3, BSOD went away.

Tried to add a new install of Windows 7 Ultimate RTM on clean machine.  Able to surf to WHS and run connector software from http://<servername>:55000
    Runs fine until it it time for me to type in the WHS password, at which point if I put in an incorrect password it identifies it as such, but if I put in the correct password, I am told:

"this operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later. if the problem persists, please contact Product Support"

"Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer <servername> uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established."

doing a google search it appears that my connector software is correct for the download of PP2, BUT when attempting to connect up a new client, the WHS is reporting that it is still in version 0.  I have seen notes that I should attempt to uninstall and reinstall PP2, but Windows Update tells me that PP2 can not be installed.

Is it possible that PP3's uninstall has made an incorrect modification to my WHS installation / communication framework? is there a way to reverse this?

How do I fix this issue?

- <System>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>7</Task>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>6.0.2030.2</Data>
      <Data>LCARS</Data>
      <Data>6.0.2030.0</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    matthew Hintzen

You should probably file a bug report on Connect.  As for uninstalling Power Pack 2, you might need to uninstall KB963032 first (that's the only WHS update after Power Pack 2).
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

How do I fix this issue?

- <System>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>7</Task>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>6.0.2030.2</Data>
      <Data>LCARS</Data>
      <Data>6.0.2030.0</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    matthew Hintzen

You should probably file a bug report on Connect.  As for uninstalling Power Pack 2, you might need to uninstall KB963032 first (that's the only WHS update after Power Pack 2).
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion, I will both file the bug on Connect, and I will attempt to uninstall pp2 by first uninstalling KB963032

If anyone else can think of anything I would appreciate it.
    matthew Hintzen
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:59 PM