none
Windows 10 - Homegroup Issues

Question

• I just updated 2 desktops and 2 laptops in my home to windows 10. 1 desktop was Win & and 1 was Win 8 and the same for the 2 laptops.  Everything looked good until I tried to use my home network (Workgroup & Homegroup). Now the 2 formerly Win 7 units can see each other but not the formerly Win 8 units and vice versa.  When I try to use Homegroup it says there is an existing Homegroup and invites all 4 units to join.  But after awhile I get a message that says the Homegroup no longer exists and to start a new one.  But none of the units has the ability to start a new one, only join the unknown old which doesn't exist on any of these units.  It might have been on the WIN8 desktop prior to a harddrive failure and a clean re-install. 

Anybody have any ideas how to totally delete an old Homegroup and start over.  I really don't want to have to do clean re-installs on 4 PCs.  I would hope somebody from Microsoft can help.

Between this issue and the fact that you can't synch favorites on EDGE, I can no longer recommend the Win 10 upgrade to anyone with more than 1 PC.

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Monday, August 3, 2015 5:32 PM Looking for the proper forum.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 12:06 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem but I found a solution online which worked for me.

First shut down all computers except the one where your home group resides.  In the main computer open the c drive and go to the following file

windows\ServicesProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

Once you have opened this file you will see a list of files.  At the bottom of the list will be one or several files that start with idstore.   the dot may be followed by an sset or an sst and some of the files may have a . and a further extension.  My computer had three such files.  Highlight each file in turn right click on the file and delete it.  Once you have deleted all idstore files. exit the c drive and shut down the computer.  Turn the computer back on go to homegroup and you will notice there is not a home group on the computer.  Set one up.  Next in turn open each other computer in your network and join the home group.  Be sure to write down the computer generated password when setting up the homegroup.

Hope that helps

• Proposed as answer by wellhopper Monday, January 1, 2018 9:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by wellhopper Monday, January 1, 2018 9:01 PM
    • Proposed as answer by wellhopper Monday, January 1, 2018 9:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Naomi NModerator Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:08 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 Community forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, August 3, 2015 5:32 PM

All replies

• Having the same exact issue. Hope someone has a solution. Computer wont let me create a new Homegroup either.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, August 3, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Hello,

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

Karl

Monday, August 3, 2015 5:32 PM
  • This is a completely worthless response. So to be "on topic", I would say that the TechNet Wiki is useless as a technology and application.

Previously  homegroups that can't be deleted or joined after an OS upgrade has been a problem since Windows 7 at least and you basically ignore the request, Just perfect.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:25 AM
  • This is a completely worthless response. So to be "on topic", I would say that the TechNet Wiki is useless as a technology and application.

Previously  homegroups that can't be deleted or joined after an OS upgrade has been a problem since Windows 7 at least and you basically ignore the request, Just perfect.

This question in is the 'Where is the Forum For...?' forum, where we direct people to the proper forums to ask their questions.

What else did you expect? OS issues have absolutely zero to do with the TechNet wiki.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:56 AM
  • I had the same problem but I found a solution online which worked for me.

First shut down all computers except the one where your home group resides.  In the main computer open the c drive and go to the following file

windows\ServicesProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

Once you have opened this file you will see a list of files.  At the bottom of the list will be one or several files that start with idstore.   the dot may be followed by an sset or an sst and some of the files may have a . and a further extension.  My computer had three such files.  Highlight each file in turn right click on the file and delete it.  Once you have deleted all idstore files. exit the c drive and shut down the computer.  Turn the computer back on go to homegroup and you will notice there is not a home group on the computer.  Set one up.  Next in turn open each other computer in your network and join the home group.  Be sure to write down the computer generated password when setting up the homegroup.

Hope that helps

• Proposed as answer by wellhopper Monday, January 1, 2018 9:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by wellhopper Monday, January 1, 2018 9:01 PM
    • Proposed as answer by wellhopper Monday, January 1, 2018 9:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Naomi NModerator Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:08 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Karl, your advice is not advice.  Throw the person a bone.  Hint: suggest a URL!
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:30 AM
  • Okay, about that.  Please advise by including the URL or name of the forum the question should be, or was being moved to.
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:35 AM
  • Karl, your advice is not advice.  Throw the person a bone.  Hint: suggest a URL!

Hello,

Please see my advice from above:

The URL is highlighted in blue - you can either hover over it or right click and "copy shortcut" or, simply click the link.

Karl

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:12 PM

I did not ignore the request. I suggested you post in the proper forum.

Karl

Monday, August 10, 2015 10:35 PM
  • After going round and round with Microsoft and getting absolutely no help I finally figured out a way to fix my HomeGroup on my Home network that was corrupted by Windows 10.

1) I had to create a new Wireless Network through the internet utilizing my wireless hub

2) The new Wireless Network defaulted to Public

3) I then disconnected all of LAN connections from each of my computers attached to the network (removed LAN cables)

4) Then starting with the computer I wanted to create a HomeGroup, I connected to the new Wireless Network and Windows asked if I wanted to create a HomeGroup

5) Before I could create a HomeGroup Windows asked if I wanted to change the new wireless network to Private

6) I said yes and was able to create a new HomeGroup

7) I then did the same to the other computers on the network by only connecting to the new wireless network

8) One they were all connected to the new Private wireless network and HomeGroup I then went around to each machine and plug back into the LAN

9) The last thing I did was make sure the LAN connection was also changed to Private

I hope this might work for others.... and Microsoft can test and document the fix.......

Sunday, October 25, 2015 5:49 AM
  • Go to this directory.

Windows\ServicesProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

Delete all files.

Turn off all your computers

reboot your Homegroup master computer, you should be able to create a new group at this point.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:10 AM
  • did not work

CaptainCameron

Friday, December 29, 2017 6:05 PM
  • thank you foxes5...worked perfectly as Win10 update yesterday deleted my homegroup on BOTH my laptop & my desktop
    Monday, January 1, 2018 9:02 PM