CRM Live - Why not just use Access? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using CRM Live for about 4 months now.
    I have found that this version has many limitations that prohibit me from doing some pretty basic tasks.
    Here is a list of the drawbacks I have discovered:

1. The CRM Live product only allows scripting in Jscript and Workflows.  This seriously limits the types of customizations that I can make.
    2. The scripting is obtuse and very poorly documented.  To do a seempngly simple task like fill a field with the value from a field on another record, I have to use soap or fetchxml or a windows service, none of which are comprehensible to a novice or well documented.
    3. Many basic alterations are off limits.  I can't create a new task type.  I can't open a closed task.  Some grid views can't be altered.
    4. The interface is circa 1993.  No drag and drop when creating Entities.  Resizing a field in grid view should not take 10 minutes.
    5. Navigating records takes a long time because the web interface is very slow.

So I just opened Access and downloaded their "Sales Pipeline" template, and I wonder, why can't I just write a CRM program in access that will do everything that CRM Live does?

Can anyone suggest something that CRM Live can do that Access can't?
    Thanks! -matt
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. To extend on CRM Live will require some work. I believed Microsoft is working on improving the CRM Online experience. Please give sometime to Microsoft to get the product right. The on-premise version of CRM will have less restrictions.

However for reopening a closed task, you may create a workflow to accomplish the task.

CRM can definitely do more than Access. Does Access have the security model build in? Does Access have workflow? does access let many users access at the same time? Does Access have out of box reports? There are many things that CRM can do that Access can't.

I hope this helps.
    Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:41 AM