Would it be possible to enter my organization, "The Software Engineering Institute" into Microsoft Academic Search as a separate entity apart from our parent organization, Carnegie Mellon University? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is some background on my organization for your review:

The Software Engineering Institute (SEI) was established in 1984 as a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) operated by Carnegie Mellon University as a semi-autonomous, non-academic unit. The SEI mission is to advance software engineering and related disciplines to ensure systems have predictable and improved quality, cost, and schedule. The SEI operates at the leading edge of technical innovation, working with defense, government, industry, and academic institutions to improve software-intensive systems continuously. 

Similar FFRDCs like the RAND Corporation and the MITRE Corporation are indexed in Microsoft Academic Search (MAS) in a way such that the organizational comparison visualization feature may be applied and utilized.  The SEI in not indexed in MAS so that this organizational comparison may be applied.

The SEI's parent organization, Carnegie Mellon University, is indexed in MAS so that the organizational comparison visualization feature may be utilized.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  My question or request is that the indexing for the SEI be changed so that the organizational comparison visualization feature may be utilized.  I also wanted to know if I would be permitted and able to provide citation information for SEI authors publications so that the SEI's citation counts in MAS would be more comparable to those in Scopus and Web of Science citation indexes?

Your product is EXCELLENT with numerous valuable features that I would like to be able to include in my future citation analysis research.  Before I would be able to do this more accurately, the citation information would need to be updated for both historic and current publications.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Sheila Rosenthal

Sheila L. Rosenthal

Manager of Library Services

Senior Librarian

Software Engineering Institute

4500 Fifth Avenue

Pittsburgh, Pa.  15213

Phone:  (412) 268-7846

Fax:  (412) 268-5758

Email:  slr@sei.cmu.edu

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:11 PM

Answers

• hi, Sheila,

Thank you for your feedback,  sorry we couldn't get back to you in time due to year-end holidays.  I'm a software development manager in MS, working on Microsoft Academic Search project.  I'll send a separate email to you about the questions you raised. 

thanks.

-xin

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:10 AM