Great - Now You Tell Me! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was notified by email this morning that my OneCare was extended by 6 months.  Great!  I loved OneCare, the problem is, I have already uninstalled OneCare and replaced it with another Anti Virus program.  WHY was OneCare discontinued anyway, it was a great program - I never had any virus problems while using OneCare.

Sorry to see it go!
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:11 PM

All replies

• Many of us are sorry to see it go. As to why One Care is being discontinued, my guess is that it was most effective in filling in missing features on Windows XP. With XP being 10 years old and support for it ending at some point, there wasn't the same need for One Care features on the newer operating systems which have backup and scheduled defrag built in. With the arrival of the free Microsoft Security Essentials, which is a more powerful version of One Care antimalware, One Care would face a shrinking market.

Jim
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Thanks, Jim, for your reply.

Not sure if you are allowed to answer this or not but I'll ask and see.

I loved OneCare and hated to see it go, and so I needed to purchase another AntiVirus program so I went to my favorite store, (BestBuy) and asked a salesperson about the BEST one available that I had been using OneCare.  He said he, as well as the Store, used WEBROOT, AntiVirus Spy Sweeper 2010.  I purchased it, then uninstalled OneCare a couple of days early of the expiration date, and am using this program now.  It seems to work fine - but I have never heard of it.  Have you and will it do as good a job as OneCare has?  Also, do you recommend Microsoft Security Essentials over anything else, or what do you recommend?  I want to be protected so I want the best.  Your feedback will be appreciated!

Ray
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Webroot has been around for quite a while and their products generally do a good job. Microsoft Security Essentials is a first rate program and is my personal preference for its ease of setup and use and its minimal impact on system performance. Since you purchased SpySweeper you might as well use it for the duration of your subscription, then give Microsoft Security Essentials a try.

Jim
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Thanks again for your reply.

I will do just that - use the SpySweeper then Microsoft Security Essentials.

Ray
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:58 PM