none
get at backup files remotely RRS feed

• Question

• Obviously when traveling it would be nice to get at that file that you forgot. However trying to get at a backup remotely you get...

"The operation is an administrative task that can only be run from a client computer that is joined to the network"

So, question is, is there any way around this?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:58 PM

Answers

• No. Opening a backup requires that the connector be installed on the computer where the backup will be opened. When running the console via the Remote Access web site, that computer is the server, not the remote computer you're sitting at, and it's not possible to install the connector on the server.

The best I can offer as a workaround is to use the remote desktop proxy functionality to connect to one of your home computers, then retrieve the file on that computer, move it to one of the server's shares, and get to it that way.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by garoa1 Friday, July 27, 2012 3:11 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:43 PM

All replies

• No. Opening a backup requires that the connector be installed on the computer where the backup will be opened. When running the console via the Remote Access web site, that computer is the server, not the remote computer you're sitting at, and it's not possible to install the connector on the server.

The best I can offer as a workaround is to use the remote desktop proxy functionality to connect to one of your home computers, then retrieve the file on that computer, move it to one of the server's shares, and get to it that way.

• Marked as answer by garoa1 Friday, July 27, 2012 3:11 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Yeah I hear ya.  I was hoping for a different answer! :) Problem with that is leaving all the machines up when traveling. Then you have to worry about weather and a lightning strike frying the whole lan system if you're going to be gone for days or longer.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Or use your Server as a Server and have the files you use permanently residing on it!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Well, not really feasible for me. I have multiple users so that wouldn't work. And even if it did, then I'd need a server to backup the server. :)
    Friday, July 27, 2012 1:02 AM
  • To back up the server, get a couple of external drives and use server backup. It's not automated, but it's not hard to use...

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:26 AM
  • True, Ken. But I built a server to get rid of the externals and automate everything. And if we're traveling it would be a neat trick to back up remotely.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 3:10 AM