Issues with Realtek Network Drivers RRS feed

• General discussion

• I wanted to share this piece of information as it caused me a bit of pain finding the answer.

After installing WHS I was getting issues where the network connection would drop out permanently and the only fix was to reboot the server. I couldn’t ping my default gateway, yet the network connection from WHS point of view looked fine. Using Windows repair also didn’t help, only the reboot would restore network connectivity.

This issue happened intermediately, and sometimes I could copy Gigs worth of data with no issues, while other times only a small file would cause it. I certainly couldn't backup PCs and seems to be a major issue with multiple connections.

In the end I found it was a driver issue with the onboard Ethernet port on my Gigabyte mobo. This was a Realtek 8111 found on the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard (though I know they are on other motherboards out there).

The initial drivers that I installed was the Realtek RTL8186/8111 PCI-E version 5.686.103.2008. This is what is included on the CD and is the latest release of the drivers from Gigabyte.

I fixed the issue by using an older version of the drivers i.e. Version 5.666.301.2007

Once I rolled back to this version I haven’t had any further issues.

Regards,

Bryan

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:03 AM

All replies

• Bryan,

Primarily, you need to ensure that any drivers you need to use, are Server 2003 compatible.

Colin

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hmmm, interesting information. I was having similar problems where I couldn't get to the server. I was never able to trace the error down and end up rebuilding my box.

On the CD, my drivers are 674. So that is what is installed. Where did you find 684?  I think I'll hold off on updating to 686.

But these drivers aren't compatible with server 2003 but are with XP. I've also seen some network studdering in the past when playing music, wondering if a new 2003 compatable nic might be a good idea. May inprove performance too.

-Josh

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:25 PM
  • It could be worthwhile trying, a replacement NIC isn't going to break the bank and at least it could rule out the possibility of your current NIC contributing to the stuttering.

Colin

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  

I would definitely check for, and get Server 2003 drivers if at all possible, even from Realtek itself as opposed to the Motherboard OEM. (Gigabyte)

OEMs usually do have reference drivers which will work fine in most cases.

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:54 PM
  • I've checked the Realtek site and no Server 2003 drivers Sad

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:04 PM
  • You definitley need the correct drivers ie 2003 server. This can be a problem when building your own box, alot of MB manufactures on there perfermance or high, mid and  low end products would not include the correct drivers and why should they anyway, they would not expect you to use it for a server unless it is sold as such. Gigabyte makes great products but building a machine for a specific use such as a server you should really use parts that are made for that, especially the heart of any machine the MB. I'm not saying you cant make what you want, but maybe have less headachs in the long run. 

Mark G

Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same motherboard and am pulling my hair out about this issue.

Can anyone please share the driver. Version 5.666.301.2007.

Even the latest drivers available today, still drop.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:05 PM
  • GL

You might find some help http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/category/6/  I am usising Marvell Drivers . But They have a pretty good selection for server 2003.

Mark  G

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Hi

I had a similar problem (but the other way around). I have a VISTA client machine which constantly used to loose connection to my WHS (during file transfers). The mobo on the client has the same REALTEK nic - I upgraded the driver to the lastest on the realtek website and all problems are fixed.

Looks like there are a few issues with these nics but easy to solve with a driver upgrade

Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I tried about 6 different drivers, new and old. butall would drop out.

I managed to convince Realtek Taiwan to give me the Version 5.666.301.2007 and all is solid now!

Thanks to each who replied and thanks to Bryan for sharing his discovery!
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 11:19 AM
  • For what its worth, I am also using the G33M-D2SR motherboard with Realtek driver version 5.686.103.2008, and have not had any problems at all with network connection to the server. The NIC is connecting at 1Gb/s to my Belkin N1 Vision router.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:58 AM
  • I have the same issue. Windows 2008 server RC2 mainboard Foxconn G45M-S LGA 775 Intel G45 with integrated realtek.
    My network is literally flooded and the only remedy is to shutdown the server. 
    On top of others issues when I tried linux...
    Will probably desactivate that one and install an Intel that's to risky to loose time on a loosy realtek.

bobby
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:50 AM
  • I have the same issue. Windows 2008 server RC2 mainboard Foxconn G45M-S LGA 775 Intel G45 with integrated realtek.
    My network is literally flooded and the only remedy is to shutdown the server. 
    On top of others issues when I tried linux...
    Will probably desactivate that one and install an Intel that's to risky to loose time on a loosy realtek.

bobby
    I have been doing some research on this specific NIC Interface.  The Drivers can be found here.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:59 AM
  • This could be a little historic, but I remember having loads of problems with some Realtec NIC cards under windows XP. If you transfered large files through it, they would be corrupted. It was the NIC drivers that were included on the XP install disc. If you were using XP drivers it could have been that version.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:44 AM
  • i am having the exact same problem. I cannot change to a different nic card as I am using in mini-itx board in a low profile case. Does anyone have the realtek Version 5.666.301.2007 driver available?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:34 AM