Windows Vista (Home Premium) not Genuine after a few months of use. RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my laptop for a goodly amount of time. I've connected to the internet twice for updates with it, but other than that I've stayed clear for fear of allowing a virus to run rampant on it. I use it for media mainly, and have been thus far satified with it. Just a couple of days ago, it suddenly wouldn't let me log into my account normally. It says that the product key is not valid and that I need to type in a new one, use my computer on reduced functionality, or get support from Toshiba. When I try to use it on reduced funcationality, it does nothing, the option pretty much deadpans, so I can't connect using that to validate it. I've tried to get support from Toshiba, and again, the option deadpans, and the computer pretty much does nothing but stays on the same screen. I tried re-entering my product key on the final option available to me, and I get the same message, my key is not valid.

I bought my laptop on a military base while I had access to it, but Ican no longer enter base because I and my family are no longer in the service, so I can't bring this problem up with the retailers. I've tried searching for solutions online, and I can't seem to find anything, since everywhere I go, they redirect me to this page and other like it where people are asking pretty much the same question.

Now I'm in a real pickle. The only way for me to access my computer is by forcing it to go into SAFE MODe, and I can't connect to the internet through that. Not only that, but I can't even log into safe mode with Networking or Command Prompt. It says that the windows expired or something.

So here I am, using a PC cafe when I should have been able to do this with my laptop at the comfort of my home. Can someone help me? Is there a way for me to get this problem solved without having to log onto the internet with my laptop? I have it right here with me, and it irritated me that I have a laptop in my bag that is more expensive than the Cheap PC at this cruddy cafe.

Is the Product Key supposed to be changed over when I connect to the internet or something, because I find this really ridiculous that it would work for a good half year then suddenly tell me it's not valid.

By-the-way, my Product Key is an OEM type deal. And I'm not complaining about not being able to use Microsoft works, I know I need to buy the actual version for that, it was pretty self explanitory with the caution messages.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Theroan,

There may be a possibility your Software Licensing Service has stopped. Unfortunately we can't be sure at this point because you can't run the MGA Diagnostic Tool. This means that the Software Licensing Service has stopped. Windows Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Windows Vista is unable to confirm its own Genuine status and may show Genuine or Non-Genuine. The fact that the Service has stopped is also, most likely, the cause of other issues you may be experiencing (such as not having access to the Control Panel). Please follow the steps below. Let us know if this resolves your problem. 

The first sets of steps are how to set the Software Licensing Service to start at each Windows Vista Start-up.

1. Click Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  services.msc

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard

3. The Services window should now open

4. Scroll down to Software Licensing, then right-click on it and select Properties

5. Under the General tab, click Stop button.

6. Set the Startup Type to Automatic, and then click Apply

7. Next, under Service Status, click Start button.

8. Last, restart your computer.   

The second set of steps is the Manual steps to Force Start the Software Licensing Service. Once you type the net start slsvc command and hit Enter, if you receive any error, then, for some reason, Windows Vista is not processing the command correctly and the issue is larger than just a Software Licensing problem. In which case, I would suggest contacting Windows Vista support below: http://support.microsoft.com

If you have access to the Start button:

1) Click Start button

2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net start slsvc

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net start slsvc

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Thanks for responding ^_^. I tried all of your advice. Though I don't know if you this advice is given with the full understanding that the only way I can access my computer at all is through SAFE MODE. The errors given were all about not being able to run the service mentioned because I was on safe mode. Incase you are wondering, the error given was 1082 service could not be run on safe mode. It asks that I restart on normal mode, which is the mode I cannot get into T_T.

Okay, I've tried for the 10th time today to get into normal mode of my computer with reduced functionality, but it was to no avail. Once again, no matter how long I wait, after clicking to enter in reduced functionality, my computer stays on the same screen the options are given on. I am still able to close it out and it responds fairly quickly when I do choose to, but that is about all I can do on that screen when the window pops up telling me that my Windows Product Key was invalid.

Under these circumstances, I was not too sure if I should go directly to the Microsoft support site you have indicated, or if I should wait to see if you have another set of instructions that might be SAFE MODE freindly. Please give me another one of your quick replies. That was quite awesome. ^_^

Whoa... costs money to get tech support through the site you mentioned. Unfortunately I don't have a credit card, nor any means of electronically tranfering money, else I would have used E-bay to get what I wanted. Any other suggestions you could give me?
    • Edited by Theroan Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:17 AM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:04 AM
  • Try to contact Microsoft at 1-800-Microsoft
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:08 PM
  •  I would suggest contacting Windows Vista support below: http://support.microsoft.com

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, October 24, 2008 2:37 AM
    Friday, October 24, 2008 2:37 AM