WHS2011 server recovery? RRS feed

• Question

• I succesfully installed my WHS2011 OEM copy on my Acer H340 (box without connectors for inputs and monitor) and it worked fine for a few weeks. Since a week, the server can no longer be found on the network and the blue "i" indicator keeps flashing. Reboots don't help. I suspect something is wrong with the system disk.

With WHS v1 I had the Server recovery disk. In this package there is no such thing. Is there a way to investigate and/or repair?

Or do I need to completely reinstall using the self-prepared bootable USB image (no dvd drive in the box)?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:56 PM

All replies

• I succesfully installed my WHS2011 OEM copy on my Acer H340 (box without connectors for inputs and monitor) and it worked fine for a few weeks. Since a week, the server can no longer be found on the network and the blue "i" indicator keeps flashing. Reboots don't help. I suspect something is wrong with the system disk.

With WHS v1 I had the Server recovery disk. In this package there is no such thing. Is there a way to investigate and/or repair?

Or do I need to completely reinstall using the self-prepared bootable USB image (no dvd drive in the box)?

How did you install WHS2011?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:21 AM
  • A completely new feature of WHS 2011 compared to WHS v1 is you can and should backup the C: and D: drive on a USB disk. So, if you backed up your server prior to the failing, you need to restore the server with that backup to your new drive. In the dashboard you have a utility to help you create a USB drive to help you restore your server. If you didn't create that utility when your server was up and running, I am sure you can find it on the net. Just a little bit of googling should do the trick.

Hope this help,

Claude

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:35 AM
  • Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:52 AM
  • I was not smart enough to create a backup while I could. And browsing the web I couldn't find a solution alike the 'server recovery cd' from the WHS v1... That's why I ask. So if you know any other way than another time consuming new installation, I welcome your ideas!
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Hi,

OEM should provide you a server Recovery DVD. There is a server recovery wizard inside DVD and it will guide you how to create such USB. After creating the USB key, it can be used to boot the server in recovery mode, you can either restore the server from a previous backup or restore it to a factory reset status.

Because the vail server has no monitor, the recovery wizard running in a client machine will get your input and contact the server. Please follow the wizard's instruction.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:18 AM