none
The editor is -sorry- a disaster RRS feed

• Question

• - Firefox or IE freeze quite often for more than 10 seconds while the editor loads.
    - The syntax highlighting is more a random coloring, it distracts more than it helps
    - Its not usable on Mobile Devices like Android and IOS. (it never stops loading)
    - Editing text is a repeating challenge, blank lines get added and deleted by random and mess up the format.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I dont get it. These are all known bugs for a long time. People complaining for a long time but nothing ever happens. Sure we can enjoy the bugs with a new design now, but fixes...?

Sorry for the rant, i'm sure its not the fault of the developers, but its just annoying.

Rob

• Edited by RobertWe Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:52 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. Cannot reproduce. Things to try: check your Internet connection. Delete your browser history.

2. We've got a few bugs open on the syntax highlighting.

3. We have some tasks open on mobile devices. I just inquired to the support team about that. It's being tracked on this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/59da955d-73c0-4e44-9fbd-0cfcfd68aa44

Let's discuss #4 some more. Blank lines get deleted by branding standards. Basically some by design experience assumptions that don't line up with what people want. You can press the spacebar on a blank line to get it to "stick".

Like above. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:16 PM
    Owner
  • Testing the italicize bug.

Cannot repro. Maybe you had the magic text...

There are some server error screenshots posted in this thread for anyone interested.

Still cannot repro.

Derosnec, what forum did you post this in? It could be related to forum branding. I'll have to test over there.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:03 AM
    Owner

• I just posted to another thread.  I began by quoting, then editing that quote to reduce it down.  (as illustrated).

But upon doing so, it was impossible to move the cursor out of (beneath) the grey quote.

Here's how the HTML looked at that moment.

Then I merely appended a <br> in the html editor box, and exited it.  That solved it.

The cursor could then be moved beneath the quote to type the reply in the normal edit window.

I can't imagine how anybody can successfully edit a post here with IE8, without using the HTML editor.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:22 PM

• After submitting that post above, then exiting this page, it hung with a twirlie on the tab.  (see mouse arrow)

I opened a new tab just now to this same thread, to post this present comment.  (see the tab with the x)

It's been what, 10 minutes already?  It's still twirling.  It's hung.  Hmmmmph.

I assume it had something to do with the Error on page that was on the status bar.  (I posted about that here).

EDIT

(lol the yellow exclamation just appeared after I typed the word EDIT).   I finally went back to the twirlie tab page after about 40 minutes, and there was an x on it.  So it wasn't actually "hung".  It was just perpetually occupied with some unknown thing.  I clicked the x and it closed ok.  How goofed up.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Hi Ed,

1. I use these forums from about 5 different machines via various connections and different providers (DLS,wlan-hotspots and umts/LTE). Believe me, the problem is not on my end. :)

2. Yes i know, for how long now? :) That was kinda my point, it doesnt get fixed...

3. Thanks, i'll post there again?

4. i know the workaround and its annoying. Really.

> "Basically some by design experience assumptions that don't line up with what people want."

Thats why i said the editor is a desaster.
    I'm sorry but you sound like you guys just recently invented this whole new forum format and just need to iron things out.

But its around for years and years and about every forum on the web has more and better features than this one.

WHY? I mean it, seriously: why?

It cant be that difficult. There are so many suggestions that have been around for years but they never get done.

thanks, rob

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:21 AM

• Hi Ed,

2. Yes i know, for how long now? :) That was kinda my point, it doesnt get fixed...

I decided to try to provoke the Error on page condition with IE9, but couldn't.  My previous posts which show it were done with IE8 (trivially easily).  Now I am reminded, though, of why I don't like to use IE9 in this forum.  Look closely at the first screenshot above and notice how the text is misrendered after scrolling.  The other two shots need no explanation.  :P    This only happens rarely, intermittently.  (Like just now).  I think maybe it happens only when images are embedded in posts, with IE9.  I don't recall ever seeing this happen with IE8 or FireFox.  I've never seen this happen in any other forum, except here on MSDN+Technet.  Reports about it began during IE9-beta.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Hi Ed,

1. I use these forums from about 5 different machines via various connections and different providers (DLS,wlan-hotspots and umts/LTE). Believe me, the problem is not on my end. :)

3. Thanks, i'll post there again?

4. i know the workaround and its annoying. Really.

> "Basically some by design experience assumptions that don't line up with what people want."

Thats why i said the editor is a desaster.
    I'm sorry but you sound like you guys just recently invented this whole new forum format and just need to iron things out.

But its around for years and years and about every forum on the web has more and better features than this one.

WHY? I mean it, seriously: why?

It cant be that difficult. There are so many suggestions that have been around for years but they never get done.

thanks, rob

1. Do you have the problem with all your systems at the same time?

2. We created two new bugs about a week ago with current information.

4. As I mentioned, it's "by design". The argument is that people added many spaces, lengthening threads. Another goal was to make the branding and format uniform and consistent.

More and better feature sets? Which ones?

Many suggestions have been implemented. The previous updates were "filed" in the Announcements forum. That gives examples of the improvements being made. Many have been made after that (but not announced). The team currently plans to post the announcements again in the future.

Examples: A profile recognition and reward system was added last year. Spam updates have been completed this month, and there is another one planned.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:23 AM
    Owner
  • text is misrendered after scrolling.

That happens to me more on IE10.   I'm guessing it is because there are no W8 video drivers yet for my Tablet's video chip.

It just happened while editing this, deleting a line I think.   Opening and closing the Developer's Tools seems to have fixed it. 

---

Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:56 PM
  • I've seen the problem like you have in your screenshots happening quite frequently when I post code in Google Chrome. I find it annoying, but haven't reported myself, thanks for reporting.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:19 AM