WHS & Windows 7 Home Premium - WHS Connector Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to reinstall WHS on my server and also to replace Windows 7 RC with Home Premium x32 on one of the client PCs. The other client PC is still running XP. I had no problems reconnecting the XP machine to WHS – it is being backed up regularly, has access to Shared Folders & WHS console and I can Remote Desktop into server.

The Home Premium machine has been a nightmare. First I tried the original Connector CD and got a message that it was out-of-date so I attempted to download the Connector software from the server via the http link. This seemed to download OK but when I tried to run it, it reported that it was uninstalling existing Connector software. No further message regarding uninstalling was visible and it appeared to install Connector and find the server but when asked for server password it reported incorrect password although I know that I input the correct password. After cancelling the installation, I noticed the edge of a window on the extreme right of the screen and, although the window would not move, I could make out from the taskbar thumbnail that it was reporting uninstalling Connector finished so I pressed enter to confirm and the window closed. Assuming there was a problem re uninstalling, I checked the add/remove programs via control panel and manually removed connector. I then tried to download & install Connector from the server again. Exactly the same scenario occurred except that on checking installed programs via control panel connector was absent. This problem is not machine-specific because my wife’s PC also running Home Premium has exactly the same problem.

What is really weird is that I can remote desktop into the server from either client running Home Premium using exactly the same password that connector rejects! Also I had no problems with connector when the client was running the RC which I believe was the Ultimate version.

I am sorry this is such a long message but I hope the detail helps someone put me on the road to a solution!

Thanks for reading this far!

Alan

Monday, March 15, 2010 11:19 AM

Answers

• Are the server and client times in sync?

Are you running some other firewall program?

Are you running PP3 on your Windows Home Server?

--
    • Marked as answer by rowansbank Monday, March 15, 2010 3:42 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:24 PM

All replies

• Are the server and client times in sync?

Are you running some other firewall program?

Are you running PP3 on your Windows Home Server?

--
    • Marked as answer by rowansbank Monday, March 15, 2010 3:42 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Thank you very much, Al.
    Server time was way out - sometime back in 2007! I reset it and got immediate access to shared folders from client. Then ran connector successfully, so everything is fine now.
    Thanks again - great service!
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:49 PM