none
Microsoft Is A Profitable Company and a Monopoly RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft has never been responsive to reports of product defect reports.  There are a lot of bells and whistles in Windows.  Most people are wedded to Windows because it is reasonably good at delivering for a low price a platform upon which to run Microsoft Office applications (also known as apps) such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook.  For most people this is sufficient.  For my customers this is NOT sufficient.  I'm the consultant to Metropolitan Washington Ear, a radio reading service for the blind.  Because the computers that were installed in 2008 are 32-bit machines running Windows XP, management decided to replace the computers with 64-bit machines running Windows 10.  Windows 10 was picked because it is the latest release and because the manufacturer recommended it.  Let me paint a picture of the situation.  Volunteers (unpaid) readers by the hundreds make WAV files to be broadcast over the radio.  This is accomplished daily by elderly people who have little to zero understanding of how to operate computers.  The original site build locked Windows XP with a Microsoft-provided add-on that ensured every user had an identical experience following log on.  That was a Bill Gates initiative when he was giving away Windows to schools and libraries.  That gizmo is long gone having been sort of replaced with the assertion that Group Policy can be used to accomplish nearly the same thing.  Nobody gives instructions on which policies to apply or what values to use.  Cool Edit 2000 is the ancient 32-bit application volunteers use to make recordings for broadcast because they are familiar with it.  It is properly marked as requiring Windows 10 adapt in compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3.  Wonderful.  Windows 10 by default updates at least once a week making what was working stop working.  This is called a "quality" update.  Thanks for making Cool Edit 2000 claim I must reinstall Cool Edit 2000 because of some unidentified change that happened because who knows what or why.  And when I attempt to reinstall the application does NOT work.  Volunteers are now creating recordings that are ill-formatted.  That means their hour of work is lost because the WAV file cannot play at the appointed time.  Why does this happen?  It did not happen under Windows XP.  It happens all too often with Windows 10.  The non-profit bought 24 full charge copies of Windows 10 and is suffering for it.  I'm getting blamed for Microsoft's software instability.  What response do I get from managers at Microsoft?  Blame the user.  Blame the IT Pro.  Blame the university I attended that gave me a degree in computer science.  But don't blame Microsoft.  To the investors in Microsoft managers at Microsoft are performing as expected.  Nobody is going to drop Windows and learn to operate a Mac.  I never, never, never, ever get an apology and promise to do better from anybody who is in charge at Microsoft.  So I conclude those people simply do not care.  Nobody at Microsoft takes responsibility for Windows.  There are plenty of people I can chat with at Microsoft online or on the phone.  They are empowered to do nothing for me.  By the way I have created many, many software applications myself.  I'm 66 years old.  Worked in industry all my post-graduate life.  I am NOT the idiot you claim I am.  My applications are well-documented, intuitive to operate, and will be fixed if anybody complains which they don't.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Friday, August 24, 2018 10:50 PM

Answers

•  I use my PC to create voice recordings.  That is the only thing it does.  And, because of Windows As A Service's habit of breaking things, it doesn't do that satisfactorily.  Senior Managers:  What say you?  Got a tee time today.  Shucks.  And I thought I'd get a reply.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Inspired by your post I just downloaded the original installation file for Cool Edit 2000 and installed it on Windows 10, 64 bit, Ver 1803 with all current updates installed. It installed quickly and smoothly and as far as I can tell is operating correctly. Frankly I find that a very impressive achievement by Windows with an almost 20 year old program.  Expecting current Microsoft staff to troubleshoot any problems is unrealistic.

Cool Edit 2000 is shareware so I have only a 30 day trial. Longer use requires paying to obtain a "software dongle and serial code" which of course is now impossible (Adobe took over the program long ago and completely changed it). I assume you still had these for the version you are now trying to use and were able to "convert the Software into a full use version of Cool Edit 2000". However, as would be expected the licence is for use of one copy on one computer only. I assume each of your users originally complied with this in order to have legal use. If they now install Cool Edit 2000 on a new Windows 10 PC they will need to find their own original, unique serial code in order to continue to use the program legally.

I understand the reluctance to learn new software but there are modern, totally free programs like Audacity which provide similar functions and are fully supported on Windows 10. You would probably be better served in the long run by changing to one of those.

Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:22 PM
  • This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki. probably your best bet is to ask here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:36 AM
  • It may now be an Adobe product so might ask them or in their forums for help.

https://forums.adobe.com/welcome

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Running a business that has literally Billions of customers means that those directing and leading sections of the business have very little bandwidth to deal with specific issues and customer feature requests... It is not that those people dont care, but that they are tasked with much higher level responsibilities .. more like Polititions dealing with issues which affect the entire community, rather than the hardships of individual constituents. Microsoft Senior Managers are simply not supposed to deal with Users but to ensure that Focus and Resource are allocated to where it can do the most good to the broadest spectrum of users.

What Microsoft has done though is to spend considerable resource in building this very forum so that Users like us can get help with anything that doesnt make it up to Director level.

What would be an effective fix for you for this issue?

Would a simple, intuitive and well documented alternative sound editing solution give you what you need?

Charlie Coverdale

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 24, 2018 11:16 PM
  • This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki. probably your best bet is to ask here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:36 AM
  • It may now be an Adobe product so might ask them or in their forums for help.

https://forums.adobe.com/welcome

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:30 AM
  • "Microsoft Senior Managers are simply not supposed to deal with Users but to ensure that Focus and Resource are allocated to where it can do the most good to the broadest spectrum of users."  Nobody at Microsoft deals with Users.  (Unless insulting users is "dealing" with them.) If Senior Managers cannot monetize break/fix then every issue is unimportant.  Senior Managers set policy.  Their direct reports set policy.  The people who deal with Users cannot and will not set policy.  Microsoft refuses to address serious product defect issues.  Current policy bothers me and, I assume, a whole lot of people who are NOT among the broad spectrum of users.  So, Microsoft Senior Managers, keep loading the bugs into the product.  Eventually we will go away.   Top executives of billion dollar corporations live in isolation from the world I live in where the dirt they generate accumulates.

Broadest Spectrum of Users:   Those who use their PCs to send/receive email, create spreadsheets, create documents, create presentations for pointless meetings.  I use my PC to create voice recordings.  That is the only thing it does.  And, because of Windows As A Service's habit of breaking things, it doesn't do that satisfactorily.  Senior Managers:  What say you?  Got a tee time today.  Shucks.  And I thought I'd get a reply.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Saturday, August 25, 2018 3:57 AM
  • You won't get them here in forums. Better to call in here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Saturday, August 25, 2018 4:06 AM

•  I use my PC to create voice recordings.  That is the only thing it does.  And, because of Windows As A Service's habit of breaking things, it doesn't do that satisfactorily.  Senior Managers:  What say you?  Got a tee time today.  Shucks.  And I thought I'd get a reply.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Inspired by your post I just downloaded the original installation file for Cool Edit 2000 and installed it on Windows 10, 64 bit, Ver 1803 with all current updates installed. It installed quickly and smoothly and as far as I can tell is operating correctly. Frankly I find that a very impressive achievement by Windows with an almost 20 year old program.  Expecting current Microsoft staff to troubleshoot any problems is unrealistic.

Cool Edit 2000 is shareware so I have only a 30 day trial. Longer use requires paying to obtain a "software dongle and serial code" which of course is now impossible (Adobe took over the program long ago and completely changed it). I assume you still had these for the version you are now trying to use and were able to "convert the Software into a full use version of Cool Edit 2000". However, as would be expected the licence is for use of one copy on one computer only. I assume each of your users originally complied with this in order to have legal use. If they now install Cool Edit 2000 on a new Windows 10 PC they will need to find their own original, unique serial code in order to continue to use the program legally.

I understand the reluctance to learn new software but there are modern, totally free programs like Audacity which provide similar functions and are fully supported on Windows 10. You would probably be better served in the long run by changing to one of those.

Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:22 PM