WHS vs tape backup RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011 seems to only want to back up to a USB or other external disk. Is there any way to get it to back up to a tape drive, specifically a SCSI DAT? Device Manager lists the tape drive but the simple 'backup computer' utility of prior Windows versions that would backup to tape doesn't seem to be present in the system. Only the fancy server backup, and it doesn't see the tape!
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:18 PM

Answers

• No, not without 3rd Party Software.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, May 18, 2012 6:54 AM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:19 PM

All replies

• No, not without 3rd Party Software.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, May 18, 2012 6:54 AM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:19 PM
  • In the age of drives with terabytes of storage it would seem that a tape device

would be slower, not capable of holding as much data and pretty much obsolete

given today's standards. For the most part, vendors have stopped making and

marketing those devices. You may however find a few of the older models on

amazon (probably could not sell them off).

AS Phil said, you won't see any of the current o/s's supporting a tape device

outside of a 3rd party software which is usually supplied with the device.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:21 PM
  • You have, in effect, answered your own question. The backup built into Windows Home Server 2011 is the same tool as is built into Windows Server 2008 R2, with an added wizard to simplify the task of actually backing up your server. That tool does not, as you have learned, support tape drives.

You can either use a hard drive (which is supported) or purchase a third party tool which supports tape.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Since Windows Server 2008 tape backups are only supported by 3rd party software, no longer by the backup tools provided with Windows Server. Eventually was a compatible tool part of the package of your tape drive? (Some Backup Exec license for downloading the software, for example.)

Like it or not, this is a fact we cannot change.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Well, that stinks. OK, tape drive goes on Ebay.
    Friday, June 1, 2012 1:12 AM