Problems after backuyp to DVD RRS feed

• Question

•  

I tried backing up to DVD's after loading Windows one care,

It seemed to work but when I took the second and last DVD out the DVD drive would not stay closed.

The LED keeps blinking on the DVD drive like it is waiting to finish something.

The only way I can get the DVD to stay close is to power down and close it just before the computer shuts down.

I have to wait until the next day to restart or it opens up right away when I reboot.

Even when I restart the next day, if I try to use it it just pops any media out and then won't stay closed.

Then I tried backing up to an external USB drive, but the backup won't let me do it. I changed the settings to an external drive and even scheduled it and rebooted and waited for it to do it itself, but when I check the back up procedure it still wants to save the info to a CD/DVD even though I have checked it and it says an external drive.

Any thoughts on what is going on.

Right now I am thinking I need to wait until 7-5-08 when the next sheduled back up is and see if it works to the external drive and see if my DVD will work again.

Craig

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:49 AM

Answers

• Hello, Craig. I've never seen what you are describing - the drive refusing to stay closed - unless there was a hardware issue. However, I suspect it might be some sort of software conflict in your case.

If you want to ignore the issue, since it only affects OneCare, and use the external drive for backups (which is easier, assuming you have the available space on the drive), try the following to reset the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If you want help in identifying the cause of the strange problem with the DVD burner, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hello, Craig. I've never seen what you are describing - the drive refusing to stay closed - unless there was a hardware issue. However, I suspect it might be some sort of software conflict in your case.

If you want to ignore the issue, since it only affects OneCare, and use the external drive for backups (which is easier, assuming you have the available space on the drive), try the following to reset the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If you want help in identifying the cause of the strange problem with the DVD burner, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:21 PM
  • OK the DVD drive just basically fixed itself after a few days.

Now my problem is that it won't backup to an external hard Drive. It is set to an External hard Drive when I go a check the settings.

But when I try to do a back up it wants to use the DVD drive.

It's like since I tried that first and wasn't able to back up a lot of files for some reason (most are MPG files i thimk) that it won't change now.

How can I reset One care, maybe that will help. Or do I need to uninstall and start over??

Craig Keehr 

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Use the procedure in the above post to reset the backup plan. First you turn off backup and save the plan, then configure backup again and save the new plan.

-steve

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:49 PM