HP Media Smart vs. Home Grown MS WHS OEM Differences RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I considering purchasing a HP MediaSmart Server or building my own box with the Microsoft Home Sever OEM software.
    Is there any major differences in the included software packages either way?

For instance, does the OEM version come with HP Photo Webshare package?

Karl

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:09 PM

Answers

• Karl

If you want the HP specific software you will either have to buy the MediaSmart box or get the software seperately. The WHS OEM software is just the WHS software, no additional applications.

The only other difference is support - if you buy the HP box you get support from HP, if you buy the OEM software YOU are the support person (other than through these sorts of forums or paid support).

Andrew

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:45 PM
  • OK, what are the differences between stock WHS and the HP product.  Here is what I know is different:

1.   HP has created some sort of iTunes add-in that synchronizes itunes downloads with the whs share, and makes those downloads share to everyone.  Don't use iTunes, don't care.

2.  HP has a christmas application that lets you see those blinky lights in morse code. 

3.  HP has those freaky bays that let you hot remove and hot plug hard drives.  Doubt you would have those on a custom build.

4.  HP hardware doesn't have a keyboard or mouse port, and your custom build probably does have the port.

5.  HP provides support, the OEM version you are on your own.

Somebody keep me honest here, I don't have an HP myself, just remember reading about these...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:51 PM

All replies

• Karl

If you want the HP specific software you will either have to buy the MediaSmart box or get the software seperately. The WHS OEM software is just the WHS software, no additional applications.

The only other difference is support - if you buy the HP box you get support from HP, if you buy the OEM software YOU are the support person (other than through these sorts of forums or paid support).

Andrew

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:45 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Karl

Andrew

Thanks for the quick response Andrew...

Is anyone aware of any "Must Have", "Essential" or "Nice to Have" components/features that the HP MediaSmart server comes with and the OEM version does not have?

I suppose I will order the OEM evaluation version and give it try on one of my own boxes and see if that fits my needs.

Thanks,
    Karl

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:09 PM
  • OK, what are the differences between stock WHS and the HP product.  Here is what I know is different:

1.   HP has created some sort of iTunes add-in that synchronizes itunes downloads with the whs share, and makes those downloads share to everyone.  Don't use iTunes, don't care.

2.  HP has a christmas application that lets you see those blinky lights in morse code. 

3.  HP has those freaky bays that let you hot remove and hot plug hard drives.  Doubt you would have those on a custom build.

4.  HP hardware doesn't have a keyboard or mouse port, and your custom build probably does have the port.

5.  HP provides support, the OEM version you are on your own.

Somebody keep me honest here, I don't have an HP myself, just remember reading about these...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:51 PM
  • I've had a lot of fun building my own system (my first) from a bunch of mostly old parts (new HDDs though).  I started with beta 2 and am now running RTM.  I had about nine months to enjoy the benefits of my WHS before the HP product was introduced. 

Having invested in my home-built machine I will stick with as long as it will run.  But, if I was starting from scratch right now, I'd take a good look at the HP product.  Mostly I see good reports on it and I don't think I could save much money building one myself.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:22 AM