Problem with connection after PP2 RRS feed

• Question

• In installed PP2 after being prompted on my desktop.  It partially works there (backup worked last night, I can view folders, etc.).  The icon in my taskbar shows red (Network Health is Critical) but when I sign on to the console, the icon there shows green (Network Healthy). 

From my laptop, I could see the folders on the WHS, but it does not show as being connected.  I tried to do the update there, as described in these forums using \\(servername)\Software\Home Server Connector Software\setup.exes.  "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later.....".    It has failed multiple times, after reboot of both WHS and the laptop. 

I can see that the c:\program files\windows home server directory contains only an empty folder "upgrade" and an old html help file.   

There is no WHS icon in the taskbar and from the WHS console (via my desktop) show the name of the laptop but it is dim and cannot be clicked to create a backup any longer. 
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:18 PM

Answers

• I had checked the version numbers, and they were what they should be with the new update.  I then renamed the Windows Home Server Directory (in Program Files) and re-ran the setup from \\(server)\software\Home Server Connector Software.  This time the process ran to completion.  The WHS icon now appears in the laptop taskbar, and I was then able to do a manual backup. 

On my desktop, I then turned off the feature to 'Display Network Health'.  On a whim, I turned it back on and now it shows the same status (Healthy) as is shown when I bring up the WHS console.  The added laptop also shows with the correct backup status.  

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.   Your assistance is greatly appreciated!    Dale

• Marked as answer by dh2a Friday, March 27, 2009 4:25 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    which version numbers are shown in the console?
    Delete the old Windows Home Server directory on your client to avoid a file, which cannot be overwritten by some reason, blocking the installation.
    What happens, if you open http://server:55000 on your laptop and try the installation from there? (replace server with the name of your server)

Please check also the dates of the msi files in \\server\software\home server connector software.
    Take a look in the event log and check for related errors and warnings.

If the client does not give enough information for diagnostics, you may also check the event logs on the server for matching errors or warnings.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I had checked the version numbers, and they were what they should be with the new update.  I then renamed the Windows Home Server Directory (in Program Files) and re-ran the setup from \\(server)\software\Home Server Connector Software.  This time the process ran to completion.  The WHS icon now appears in the laptop taskbar, and I was then able to do a manual backup. 

On my desktop, I then turned off the feature to 'Display Network Health'.  On a whim, I turned it back on and now it shows the same status (Healthy) as is shown when I bring up the WHS console.  The added laptop also shows with the correct backup status.  

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.   Your assistance is greatly appreciated!    Dale

• Marked as answer by dh2a Friday, March 27, 2009 4:25 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:22 PM