Why is the Windows 10 Music App so slow in adding my music? RRS feed

• Question

• I really don't think that I'll get an answer here in this forum, but I've been told by a support person over in the Windows Insider forums that I should post my question here, so here goes:

My music collection consists of 1,000+ albums (16,000+ songs in MP3 format) held on a Windows Home Server 2011 system.

Version 3.6.1068.0 of the Music app in Windows 10 preview (build 10130) is currently adding my music, and like all the previous versions of the Music app, it is very, very slow at scanning and adding my music. It's been over six hours now, and it still only managed to add around 2,000 songs. At this rate it will be four days before the process is complete.

Why is it so slow? Other music players that scan the collection to build their libraries (e.g. Media Monkey, Plex and Emby) take a fraction of the time. Why can't the Music app?

Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As mentioned, Windows 10 is still a preview version, and there might be something still need to be improved. It is available to wait and upgrade to the Windows 10 edition. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Music app in Windows 10 preview is slow when adding music.

You may try to disable any 3rd party process, or install the latest update version of music app, or try to re-install this app, then confirm the result. Besides, Windows 10 is still a preview version, if the problem still exits, you may provide your feedback to the app vendor:
    Open Music app, click the icon on left corner - Settings – Feedback – fill in your suggestion – click Submit.

Your feedback would be helpful for improve the product.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Eve, thanks for the attempt to help, but none of your suggestions are useful. The issue lies with Microsoft's design of the Music app, and any telemetry data or feedback that they might receive from us WHS 2011 users will be lost in the noise.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

As mentioned, Windows 10 is still a preview version, and there might be something still need to be improved. It is available to wait and upgrade to the Windows 10 edition. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:48 AM