Multiple UPS's?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Not so much a WHS question as a UPS one. I have a WHS and two PC's (XP + VistaU) in the same room. I get that I could power all 3 from a UPS, albeit limiting the amount of uptime a UPS could provide. But can UPS software shutdown all 3 in the event of a power outage? Or would I need 3 UPS's to do that? Ideally, a UPS would tell WHS to shutdown and then WHS would tell the clients to shutdown. Is this possible?
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• It will be very much a case of choosing a UPS on the basis of the software that comes with it. You will need one that allows you to run a script / batch file on power failure. This will allow you to use the 'shutdown' command to remotely power down the PC's. You will need to run the script under an account that has Admin rights on all three systems.

I am using an APC Back-UPS ES 350 unit and the PowerChute Personal Edition doesn't have the batch file option. You will need to go through the web sites of some of the major vendors to see what they offer (Belkin, Riello etc.) with their devices. As long as it is compatible with XP/2003 I think you should be OK.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:13 PM
  • Dave, you don't need the PowerChute software. Standard Windows power management will let you run a program at a pre-specified power level. That program could be a batch file or script that forces a shutdown of other computers, then forces a shutdown of the computer connected to the UPS.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Ken, thanks for that - I didn't realise it would pick it up automatically. The only downside is that I don't get any feedback on the expected run-time. All we need now is this information feeding back into the Console. I am going to check the Event Log after a test and see if I can trigger the Event Monitor Add-In to give an email alert on a power failure.

That also answers the original query in that a normal APC UPS with USB connection to the server allows you to run a script which will cause other systems to shut down. I am not sure which user such a script would run as, so you may have to do some testing to see if runs with appropriate permissions to apply a shutdown command to the other systems. I have synchronised the Administrator passwords on all my systems as part of testing the Shutdown part of the Wake-On-LAN Add-In and that seems to get round such problems.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Don't sweat the run-time report. All you want (for the home) is an orderly shutdown as soon as it becomes obvious that power isn't coming right back. If you want to trigger that add-in, you can always create a custom event (using vbscript or powershell, if nothing else) if you can't get an appropriate even to appear.

The UPS services runs as the Local Service account, by the way. I don't recall what rights that account has, though.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 12:29 PM