Cannot connect PC to server RRS feed

• Question

• Error message is

Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending........

This PC, three othe PC's and the media centre PC were used on the Vail evaluation.

I purchased a new server running the official release, the other three PCs connected without problems but this one (My PC) and the media centre are flagging errors and refusing to connect.  All machines were uninstalled and disconnected from the trial prior to shutting it down, the media centre PC is running windows 7 64 bit, my machine is currently running win7 32 bit. The connected systems run XP, Vista and Win 7 64 bit.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:30 PM

All replies

• This question has been asked and answered many times on this forum. Try this:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply

In session Manager there was only "FileRenameOperations" which I renamed to "FileRenameOperations2" Rebooted the machine but received the same error message.

Regards Ian

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Made some progress.

Remembered that as the server was building, it found my homegroup and I attached it - to the two PCs that will not connect to the server.

So, disconnected the server from the home group and re-booted it, disconnected the media centre PC from the homegroup and rebooted it, the media centre PC then connected to the server without incident.  Unfortunately my PC is still being difficult but now there is only one to connect.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:15 PM