none
getting invalid password from WHS console RRS feed

• Question

• My HOME SERVER m/b died about a month ago, so the server has been down.  A couple of weekends ago I rebuilt it with new hardware (except for the O/S) disk.   I found out the O/S disk was also trashed, so I replaced that drive too and did a clean install.

I installed ALL of the patches including POWER PACK 1 and everything appeared to work.  I did a restore from my external drive and got all my data back, everything’s working; so far.

I went back to my XP box and I had to reinstall (HTTP://myserver:55000) the console program (I tried it first).  During install, it asked for the password; I gave it.  The install appeared to complete successfully; even had a GREEN console icon.  The shares were available and could be accessed, thru the XP desktop and shares option of the console icon.  Website access also worked. 

I startup the console and get prompted for the password, enter it and get an “invalid password”, password is case sensitive, etc.  I know for a fact that I’m using the correct password.

Since then, i've reinstalled the server a "bazillion" times; pulling in the the server patches, a few at a time; until it fails.  Right now all works, I am down to the last two WHS patches.  After BOTH (or either one), I get the ERROR "invalid password, etc" on my XP box.  EVERYTHING else seems to work.

here are the problem patches KB961030 (WHS UPDATE 2/24/2009) and KB951847 (Net Framework 3.5 SP1 01/27/2009) 

Thanks,

Cress  email me

Monday, March 2, 2009 4:34 AM

Answers

• Thanks ALL,

Got it to work with the suggested server registry mod!!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    “SessionImageSize”=dword:00000020

• Marked as answer by Cress Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:43 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:43 AM

All replies

• Cress said:

My HOME SERVER m/b died about a month ago, so the server has been down.  A couple of weekends ago I rebuilt it with new hardware (except for the O/S) disk.   I found out the O/S disk was also trashed, so I replaced that drive too and did a clean install.

I installed ALL of the patches including POWER PACK 1 and everything appeared to work.  I did a restore from my external drive and got all my data back, everything’s working; so far.

I went back to my XP box and I had to reinstall (HTTP://myserver:55000) the console program (I tried it first).  During install, it asked for the password; I gave it.  The install appeared to complete successfully; even had a GREEN console icon.  The shares were available and could be accessed, thru the XP desktop and shares option of the console icon.  Website access also worked. 

I startup the console and get prompted for the password, enter it and get an “invalid password”, password is case sensitive, etc.  I know for a fact that I’m using the correct password.

Since then, i've reinstalled the server a "bazillion" times; pulling in the the server patches, a few at a time; until it fails.  Right now all works, I am down to the last two WHS patches.  After BOTH (or either one), I get the ERROR "invalid password, etc" on my XP box.  EVERYTHING else seems to work.

here are the problem patches KB961030 (WHS UPDATE 2/24/2009) and KB951847 (Net Framework 3.5 SP1 01/27/2009) 

Thanks,

Cress  email me

Have you installed any add-ins/apps on the server?  Have you tried installing/accessing the Console from another client?  Are you able to logon to the server desktop using that same password?
    • Marked as answer by Cress Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Cress Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:42 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 2:00 PM
  • the only addins are the toubleshooter and whiist and i've uninstalled them.  Once I got PP1, I put the console on my vista 64 machine and worked there (just like XP machine) until I had to rebuild server; now I get the same results on vista as on XP.

the server passsword works EVERYWHERE except for the connecter logon.

Monday, March 2, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Cress said:

...]  I know for a fact that I’m using the correct password.

Hi,
    I assume you are,
    but just in case: you can RDP to the WHS destkop with user="Administrator", password="yourpassword"?

Any special characters (like culture sensitive currency sign, etc) in your password?
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Cress said:

the only addins are the toubleshooter and whiist and i've uninstalled them.  Once I got PP1, I put the console on my vista 64 machine and worked there (just like XP machine) until I had to rebuild server; now I get the same results on vista as on XP.

the server passsword works EVERYWHERE except for the connecter logon.

Do you have Nvidia drivers installed?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Lara,
    i'd guess so, Chipset is NVIDIA 780a SLI (M/B is ASUS Crosshair II).  No added on hardware, using M/B builtin items only.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Theo,  Did you mean REmote Desktop?   Yes, i just tried it.   Password contains Upper, lower, and an underscore.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Cress said:

Lara,
    i'd guess so, Chipset is NVIDIA 780a SLI (M/B is ASUS Crosshair II).  No added on hardware, using M/B builtin items only.

This would be Nvidia video drivers and they will cause this specific bug to appear: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/7b0a4e9a-2213-43a7-b9e2-7c8a7e548909/

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:48 AM
  • Thanks ALL,

Got it to work with the suggested server registry mod!!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    “SessionImageSize”=dword:00000020

• Marked as answer by Cress Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:43 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:43 AM