XP Firewall blocks WHS Connector RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

one of my computers attached to WHS is a fully patched and updated XP machine. To start with, I could not install the Connector software without disabling the XP Firewall. Now i cannot launch the Connector software without disabling the Firewall. I have followed and updated all settings as deacribed in the WHS documentation. Still won't work.

Any ideas of what I can do to address the issue?

Cheers,

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:18 PM

Answers

• Bo,

The following is an extract from the Windows Home Server Connector Installation paper, available from here.

Quote:

If the default firewall settings have been modified, or if you otherwise suspect that you need to configure your home-computer firewall, check to see if %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe is allowed through the firewall as an exception. This may display as Windows Home Server Connector in your firewall software exception list.

If your firewall software does not allow you to add programs to the exception list, you may need to manually configure each individual port that the Connector uses.

The following ports are used by the Connector software to communicate with Windows Home Server.

See your home computer firewall documentation for configuration instructions.

Service or Protocol

Ports

Scope

HTTP

TCP 55000

Subnet

HTTPS

TCP 56000

Subnet

Windows Home Server Computer Backup

TCP 8912

Subnet

Windows Home Server Transport Service

TCP 1138

Subnet

Unquote.

Try that, and let us know how you go on.

Colin

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:31 PM

All replies

• Bo,

The following is an extract from the Windows Home Server Connector Installation paper, available from here.

Quote:

If the default firewall settings have been modified, or if you otherwise suspect that you need to configure your home-computer firewall, check to see if %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe is allowed through the firewall as an exception. This may display as Windows Home Server Connector in your firewall software exception list.

If your firewall software does not allow you to add programs to the exception list, you may need to manually configure each individual port that the Connector uses.

The following ports are used by the Connector software to communicate with Windows Home Server.

See your home computer firewall documentation for configuration instructions.

Service or Protocol

Ports

Scope

HTTP

TCP 55000

Subnet

HTTPS

TCP 56000

Subnet

Windows Home Server Computer Backup

TCP 8912

Subnet

Windows Home Server Transport Service

TCP 1138

Subnet

Unquote.

Try that, and let us know how you go on.

Colin

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Hi Colin,

Solved. "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe" does show up as Windows Home Server Connector as a default exception in the standard Windows XP Firewall upon installation. What i did now was to manually add the 4 ports to the list of exceptions, and it works. However, XP Firewall blocked the installation of WHS Connector by default. This proceedure can be a bit tricky for non-technical users, which you might want to consider in the next version of the documentation.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, I am visiting WWPC in Huston next week. Will there be any presence from the WHS team?

Bo

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:05 PM