Any one using Realtek 8211BL for ethernet? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've referenced the WHS "approved ethernet cards" and Realtek doesn't have any listed oddly enough, but I have found assorted WHS builds using one form or another of their chipsets, just specifically not this one - Realtek 8211BL. It's integrated into the motherboard I want to use for this particular WHS build.

MB - MSI P6NGM-FD

Processor - Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz LGA 775 35W Single-Core

Ram - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (even thought the MB is only single channel)

HDD's - client already has 2 x 250, 1 x 500 gig drives

It would be nice to know someone has used this chipset successfully prior to the build. If not I can always throw a card into the build if it doesn't work.

thanks in advance,

MicroSSG

Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:28 PM

Answers

• The Intel NIC did the trick. The onboard Realtek RTL8211BL and the nVidia drivers are not there yet for this application. Hopefully they will get this resolved soon as it adds another $65 to the cost of my base build for WHS. That's an additional 10% cost.

MicroSSG

Friday, April 4, 2008 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure if this is going to help you, My WHS has Abit AB9 QuadGT motherboard with on board NIC Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet. I downloaded xp compatible drivers on USB key and during installation of WHS, when asked, i provided this drivers and it installed OK and working fine.

There are no specific drivers available for WHS as yet, but WIN Server 2003 and xp driver works fine in most cases.

My Best,

Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Thanks, I'll go that route. Probably try to use the MB CD drivers first, then fall back to a USB key.

MicroSSG

Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Good news, the MSI Driver disk included with the MB provided drivers that worked across the board. I left the SATA Optical drive in the WHS box, $19 - I'm not gonna miss it...

MicroSSG

Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:34 AM
  • Here is something noteworthy...

I am having serious issues with the Realtek RTL8211BL and/or the nVidia drivers for it. Here is a link to more specific information about the problem I have posted in another thread...

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=3044794&siteid=50&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

I think there is something wrong with the drivers for this chipset as of now. I ordered a higher end Intel giga-NIC to see if that will resolve the issues I'm having.

MicroSSG

Friday, April 4, 2008 2:28 AM
  • The Intel NIC did the trick. The onboard Realtek RTL8211BL and the nVidia drivers are not there yet for this application. Hopefully they will get this resolved soon as it adds another $65 to the cost of my base build for WHS. That's an additional 10% cost.

MicroSSG

Friday, April 4, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Are you getting 1Gbps performance from your ethernet nic?

In my WHS machine, apparently my EG1032 nic with Realtek RTL8169/8110 is transmitting at 100Mbps rather than the expected 1Gbps rate. it works ok in my XP machine.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:57 PM
  • The Realtek was only mustering up around 23 mega bits /second. I have turned it off in the bios setting and have moved to an Intel Giga card. I should also preface that my router is only a 100 megabit router and not a giga-router...

I hope this helps,

MicroSSG

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:38 PM