none
Activities related to TechNet Wiki are not getting updated on the profile and points are not getting updated RRS feed

• Question

• I have found that the Activities related to TechNet Wiki (creating new/editing existing) are not getting updated on my profile. And point related to forum activities e.g. my replies being marked as answer by asker are not getting updated on my profile. I also found that few of the replies that I have done on Forum are not getting listed in the Activities. 

Example: I have published this Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16181.how-to-execute-btahl72xsendpipeline-in-an-orchestration.aspx

and profile is showing 0 for New Articles in TechNet Wiki.

Friday, March 1, 2013 11:48 AM

Answers

• As far as I can tell, no one has gotten credit for any Wiki activity in the last 25 days. The admins are aware of this and working on it, but we have gotten no information on when it will be resolved. They will be able to update everyone's activity when this is resolved. I know this because XAML Guy's weekly crawl is still able to count all activities for his blog article highlighting active contributor's. Here is his latest blog posting:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/archive/2013/03/24/top-contributor-awards-celebrating-more-heroes-of-the-wiki-community-plus-biztalk-tfs-ad-rms.aspx

This tells me the metadata must be available so a future process can update everyone's profile with the missing activity (and achievements). This has happened before in the past, but the outage has never been this long.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:12 PM
  • These performance problems in the Wiki are a known problem. The issue has been communicated to the developers. In fact, I sometimes see test articles (in the last 2 weeks) where they seem to be attempting to duplicate and troubleshoot the problems. I have not heard anything about what they have found.

When we save a Wiki article a lot of things happen. First (I believe), the changes to the article get saved. Then some meta data gets updated. Then the list of recent activity on the Wiki home page gets updated, then our profile activity and statistics get updated. Even if we get an error, it seems like the first two steps I listed above complete. I say this because virtually always the article gets updated (sometimes after a refresh), and XAML Guy's weekly crawl seems to always count activities even if they don't show up in our profiles. There have been weeks when no activity appeared in anyone's profile, but his weekly crawl counted normal activity.

From my experience, the last thing to happen when we save an article is for the activity to show in our profile. Sometimes this activity shows up days (or even weeks) later. However, I believe most times the activity never shows in our profile, and our statistics never get updated. Of course this affects achievements. However, since XAML Guy's crawl seems to indicate the meta data has the activity, maybe there is a chance we will eventually get credit.

For now, all I can say is that issue seems to be recognized as important.

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Regarding the Wiki Commentator achievements, I got fooled by this one myself. Your statistics show total comments over 100, so you believe you should get the Wiki Commentator achievement.

However, there are 2 types of comments. Comments you make with edits (revision comments) count toward the Wiki Community Editor achievements. Comments on the articles themselves (Wiki comments) count toward the Wiki Commentator achievements. But our statistics only show the total of the two types of comments. If you are like me, you often add comments when you update Wiki's (revision comments), but are less likely to add comments to the articles themselves. Actually, we have no idea how many of the total comments listed in our profiles count towards the Wiki Commentator achievements. I believe our list of requested features includes a breakdown of the types of comments in our profiles.

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:21 PM

All replies

• The Wiki activities for about the last day have not yet shown up in the profiles. This happens occasionally, sometimes for several days, but they eventually get caught up. However, I see forum activities are up to date in my profile (including activities in the last 5 minutes).

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:42 PM
  • The Missing Activities bug is a known issue.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:55 PM
    Owner
  • The Missing Activities bug is a known issue.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Actually I can't see that any activitie(editing of existing/creating of new wiki) is getting updated on my profile will this bug be fixed soon or there would not be any fix for it.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:54 PM
  • They said in another thread that the missing Activity bug is solved from yesterday and going forward. So, you may try some WiKi activity to verify that statement. There is a slight chance that lost activity will be restored in a future also. For now concentrate on future activities.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:14 PM
  • I just now checked a few profiles for people active in the TechNet Wiki and no one shows any activity in the last 13 days. Ed Price, for example, was very active 8 hours ago (and again 12 hours ago and 18 hours ago), but shows only forum activity in his profile. The Wiki main page shows recent activity, so it is being tracked, just not being reflected in anyone's profile now for 2 weeks.

One issue is that once the activity does get reflected in our profiles, we will only see the last 100. That might be 2 days for me, 8 hours for Ed Price. While our points and credit towards achievements should get updated, there is no way we can check. In particular, if a Wiki article we authored (or edited) is viewed enough for us to get points, we may not know that.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:33 PM
  • I see the problem. Can you do something with WiKi right now just to verify if the WiKi activity is working now?

My blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:00 PM
  • I just updated a Wiki article. It shows on the Recent Activity list on the main Wiki page here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/

We'll see if it shows up in my profile. Also, I documented the number of Wiki edits and comments that were shown in the statistics in my profile on March 7 (because nothing showed in my profile for days at that time). These have not changed since. I can tell when these numbers change.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:58 PM
  • It has been an hour since I updated a Wiki article (and added a comment), but the activity is still not in my profile. And my Wiki statistics are unchanged.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:01 PM
  • I guess that part of the bug is still there then. Have you send email to fissues? I sent one last night, no answer.

My blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:02 PM
  • I have same problem , my profile doesn't update , how can we send email to fissues ?

Dear Problems ,You May Big But My God Is Bigger.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Simply e-mail to fissues at microsoft dot com explaining that WiKi activities still suffer from Missing Activity bug which is supposedly resolved from now on.

If you get an answer, share it in this thread.

My blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:32 PM
  • thanks Naomi N for helping me.

I send e-mail , No answer . What should  i do ? Just wait :D

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Yes, just wait. You can send another email, but perhaps there will be no answer also.

My blog

Friday, March 15, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Hi

I've noticed last week that I had a bunch of posts marked as answer on the http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ilm2 forum, and although my points counter increased, the "recent visitors" and "most answers" counters did not.  Is this part of the same bug perhaps?

Thanks

Bob Bradley (FIMBob @ TheFIMTeam.com)

• Edited by UNIFYBobMVP Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:32 AM
  • My problem in Wiki update and Wiki counter is still . and I Send an email but no answer  .

I think there is still bug .

Best Regards

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Are you referring the Forum Statistics of this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ilm2 :

Visual Studio Cloud Services

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Yes I am thanks - specifically the lists of visitors/answerers/moderators/etc have counters for answers in 30 days and these have not been updated for some time - possibly weeks Thanks

Bob Bradley (FIMBob @ TheFIMTeam.com) ... now using Event Broker 3.0 for just-in-time delivery of FIM 2010 policy via the sync engine, and continuous compliance for FIM

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Yes, I have another thread on this problem in Forum's feedback form - the forum's owner promised to look into it.

My blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:13 PM
  • I am also missing wiki activities. The bug is not solved. The top answerers for the last 30 days is also not updated.

Danny van Dam, Citrix CCIA/CCEE Microsoft MCSE Server Infrastructure/MCSE Desktop Infrastructure/MCSA Server 2008, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 http://www.citrix-guru.com http://www.rds-support.eu

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:57 PM
  • When Bug will solve ? 

I think this bug is for some users .

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:05 AM
  • As far as I can tell, no one has gotten credit for any Wiki activity in the last 25 days. The admins are aware of this and working on it, but we have gotten no information on when it will be resolved. They will be able to update everyone's activity when this is resolved. I know this because XAML Guy's weekly crawl is still able to count all activities for his blog article highlighting active contributor's. Here is his latest blog posting:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/archive/2013/03/24/top-contributor-awards-celebrating-more-heroes-of-the-wiki-community-plus-biztalk-tfs-ad-rms.aspx

This tells me the metadata must be available so a future process can update everyone's profile with the missing activity (and achievements). This has happened before in the past, but the outage has never been this long.

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:12 PM
  • In the past the lost points due to forum's activities have never been restored unless it was a temporary stop of activities affecting everyone. If it affected only some people, I never saw this fixed before.

My blog

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:34 PM
  • I agree Naomi. In the cases you refer to there was an error (timeout) when a reply was submitted or marked. In that case, the reply may show up, or the reply may be marked correctly, but the metadata may not be updated. Then there is no way for that activity to get credited in the profiles.

Lately I've noticed that when I mark a reply by a user with more than 40,000 points, it takes 2 or 3 attempts (instead of 8 to 11). I'm sure many people give up after the first attempt, so that's a problem. Also, I find it less likely that I get the error message, indicating that perhaps not all steps completed. In the last few days, every time I need more than one attempt to mark a reply, I check the profile activities and it always shows up (for both me and the person whose reply I marked). I have never seen a delay. Maybe things have improved, although more needs to be done.

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Yes, that's true. I am talking about the last outage that affected many people, but not everyone. I know (and you remember) that only on that last outage I lost 1-2K points. There is very slim hope that these activities will be returned back to all the people who lost them. The chances are very small.

BTW, I posted a reply recently in the Profile forum. There was a thread in C# forum where 3 people replied. The OP thanked everyone and marked 2 of the answers excluding mine. I suspect it was not intentionally, most likely the OP got the error marking my reply.

My blog

Monday, March 25, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Regarding Wiki activities in our profiles, statistics, and achievements. I just noticed that my Wiki statistics jumped considerably. I find no Wiki activities in anyone's profile since 28 days ago, but I did find two people awarded Wiki achievements today, a gold and a bronze. I believe a process is running to update statistics and award achievement. Maybe the Wiki activities will eventually also show up in our profiles.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Wiki activity problem is now solved for me. Points and bronze achievements have been added.

Unfortunaly the Top Answerers are not being updated  (Trainig and Certification forum and the Remote Desktop Services forum)

Danny van Dam, MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Blog: http://www.citrix-guru.com and http://www.rds-support.eu

Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:58 PM
  • Top Answerers (and all other related stats) haven't been updated for more than a month. May be it's better to remove that part at all till the problem is fixed.

My blog

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Hi there!

I seem to be having a related issue on MSDN code samples, struggling to get any feedback :(

I posted the issue under the thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/thread/6a715e99-2e52-49e0-b9a0-0d5cf0db4e1c

Regards,

Dewald Esterhuizen

It's like software, by default - Just me taking a jab at people who pronounce my name wrong :) Have a look at my blog http://softwarebydefault.com - Open source all the way or get me on twitter @DefaultSoftware

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Just now I got a lot of Wiki activity in my profile, and my Wiki statistics jumped considerably. I think my Wiki points also jumped. Perhaps the activity problem with the TechNet Wiki is resolved now.

Monday, April 15, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Are you fluent in Portuguese ?

My blog

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Still no changes on the FIM forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ilm2/threads ... don't think we're necessarily out of the woods yet.

Bob Bradley (FIMBob @ TheFIMTeam.com) ... now using Event Broker 3.0 for just-in-time delivery of FIM 2010 policy via the sync engine, and continuous compliance for FIM

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Hi

I've noticed last week that I had a bunch of posts marked as answer on the http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ilm2 forum, and although my points counter increased, the "recent visitors" and "most answers" counters did not.  Is this part of the same bug perhaps?

Thanks

Bob Bradley (FIMBob @ TheFIMTeam.com)

Different bug.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:23 AM
    Owner
  • Still no changes on the FIM forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ilm2/threads ... don't think we're necessarily out of the woods yet.

Bob, this is a separate bug and should be created as a new thread in the Forums Issues forum.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:25 AM
    Owner

• Bob, this is a separate bug and should be created as a new thread in the Forums Issues forum.

Thanks Ed - I have opened a new thread here.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Just now I got a lot of Wiki activity in my profile, and my Wiki statistics jumped considerably. I think my Wiki points also jumped. Perhaps the activity problem with the TechNet Wiki is resolved now.

So is the bug marked as fixed?
    I got the same problem with my new Wiki contributions and edits.

It is not recognized in my Activities nor on the Experience tab.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Did you get an error after you posted your edits and new articles?

I think if you got an error at the end (which is very common scenario often), then you will not get activity, may not get achievement and not get comments by email.

I found this to be the case.

The only course of action you can take in this case is to email to tnwiki at microsoft dot com and explain the problem. There is no guarantee (and very little chance) that you get your lost activity back, but at least you notify the people who're responsible for WiKi.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:20 PM
  • I got a timeout error by our gateway proxy.

Maybe that's the problem. I even get no notifications by mail...

I try to contact them. But as I know Microsoft they will not care. Unless I use the Premier Support, lol

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:05 AM
  • Is this still an issue?  I've noticed tha my wiki activity isn't being updated in my stats despite being reported on within m activity field.
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:31 PM
  • I'm wondering the same thing as Steven above. My TechNet Wiki achievements don't seem to be updating. According to this article, Wiki Ninja Belt Rankings, I should have the following achievements by now: "Silver Achievement Medal: Wiki Commentator II" and "Gold Achievement Medal: Wiki Commentator III"

Regards, Matthew
    MCPD | MCITP
    My Blog
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

See my webpart on the TechNet Gallery that allows administrative users to upload, crop and format user profile photos. Check it out here: Upload and Crop User Profile Photos

Monday, October 14, 2013 12:14 PM
  • These performance problems in the Wiki are a known problem. The issue has been communicated to the developers. In fact, I sometimes see test articles (in the last 2 weeks) where they seem to be attempting to duplicate and troubleshoot the problems. I have not heard anything about what they have found.

When we save a Wiki article a lot of things happen. First (I believe), the changes to the article get saved. Then some meta data gets updated. Then the list of recent activity on the Wiki home page gets updated, then our profile activity and statistics get updated. Even if we get an error, it seems like the first two steps I listed above complete. I say this because virtually always the article gets updated (sometimes after a refresh), and XAML Guy's weekly crawl seems to always count activities even if they don't show up in our profiles. There have been weeks when no activity appeared in anyone's profile, but his weekly crawl counted normal activity.

From my experience, the last thing to happen when we save an article is for the activity to show in our profile. Sometimes this activity shows up days (or even weeks) later. However, I believe most times the activity never shows in our profile, and our statistics never get updated. Of course this affects achievements. However, since XAML Guy's crawl seems to indicate the meta data has the activity, maybe there is a chance we will eventually get credit.

For now, all I can say is that issue seems to be recognized as important.

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Regarding the Wiki Commentator achievements, I got fooled by this one myself. Your statistics show total comments over 100, so you believe you should get the Wiki Commentator achievement.

However, there are 2 types of comments. Comments you make with edits (revision comments) count toward the Wiki Community Editor achievements. Comments on the articles themselves (Wiki comments) count toward the Wiki Commentator achievements. But our statistics only show the total of the two types of comments. If you are like me, you often add comments when you update Wiki's (revision comments), but are less likely to add comments to the articles themselves. Actually, we have no idea how many of the total comments listed in our profiles count towards the Wiki Commentator achievements. I believe our list of requested features includes a breakdown of the types of comments in our profiles.

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Ok, that makes sense. Thanks the clarification Richard!

Regards, Matthew
    MCPD | MCITP
    My Blog
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

See my webpart on the TechNet Gallery that allows administrative users to upload, crop and format user profile photos. Check it out here: Upload and Crop User Profile Photos

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:24 PM
  • There's another strange behaviour: the points counter reports a value that is different from the one that I see if I move the mouse pointer over the last point of the points history chart (the value displayed is now 45 points higher than the one shown immediately above the "Experience" tab).

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:35 AM
  • The point total on the graph in my profile has exceeded the total shown above the graph by 20 points for at least a year. I reported it long ago when I noticed it, but it has never changed.

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:58 PM
  • The bug is still present: Since a few weeks activities related to TechNet Wiki are not getting updated on my profile and points are not getting updated.

I also had a look at the profiles which are listed in the "Wiki Leaderboards": It seems to be a quite common problem. However, for some users the Wiki activities are correctly tracked.

Monday, July 28, 2014 9:55 PM
  • The recent issue is discussed in this thread in the Wiki Discussion forum:

Wiki Activity not Reflected in Profile

I emailed fissues about this, and they replied that they are investigating. No update as of today.

Carsten, you have seen profiles with recent Wiki activities (in the last 4 weeks)? I have found none.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:31 PM
  • I checked my profile and don't see recent Wiki activities (I created a new article and made few revisions).

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:30 AM