Backup Won't Complete After Repartitioning HD RRS feed

• Question

• I changed the HD on one of my desktops from 4 partitions to 3 by combining two partitions.  I did not change the OS partition.  I am running Vista Ultimate 32.  Since doing this WHS give an error that the backup is incomplete.  When I try to configure the backup using the Backup Wizard in the WHS Console I get a backup warning saying "This computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive.  Please make sure the computer is powered on and coonnected to your home network,"  I am running the console from the computer that will not backup! 

I am assuming this is related to changes to the HD.  What is going on and how can this be fixed? 

Thanks,
    Walter
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:23 AM

All replies

• I changed the HD on one of my desktops from 4 partitions to 3 by combining two partitions.  I did not change the OS partition.  I am running Vista Ultimate 32.  Since doing this WHS give an error that the backup is incomplete.  When I try to configure the backup using the Backup Wizard in the WHS Console I get a backup warning saying "This computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive.  Please make sure the computer is powered on and coonnected to your home network,"  I am running the console from the computer that will not backup! 

I am assuming this is related to changes to the HD.  What is going on and how can this be fixed? 

Thanks,
    Walter

Hi,

Can you submit a bug on Connect for this issue and provide both client and server CABs? There are instructions in the Windows 7 bug post regarding how to submit a bug and how to provide CABs. This is the second post on this subject today and I'd like to have the team look at this. Please keep in mind that tomorrow is a National Holiday so the bug might not actually be triaged until Tuesday as Redmond has Monday off.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Hi,

Can you submit a bug on Connect for this issue and provide both client and server CABs? There are instructions in the Windows 7 bug post regarding how to submit a bug and how to provide CABs. This is the second post on this subject today and I'd like to have the team look at this. Please keep in mind that tomorrow is a National Holiday so the bug might not actually be triaged until Tuesday as Redmond has Monday off.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Laura,

I downloaded the toolkit following instructions on https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535 and installed it on my desktop.  When I ran it a zip file was created but that is not what the instructions indicate would happen.  Was this the correct behavior?

I then tried to install the toolkit on my WHS and it refused to install indicating a bad path (it was on the WHS desktop) or insufficient rights (I was logged in as Admin). 

Can you provide guidance on how to create the CAB files and upload them?

Walter
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Laura,

I downloaded the toolkit following instructions on https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535 and installed it on my desktop.  When I ran it a zip file was created but that is not what the instructions indicate would happen.  Was this the correct behavior?

I then tried to install the toolkit on my WHS and it refused to install indicating a bad path (it was on the WHS desktop) or insufficient rights (I was logged in as Admin). 

Can you provide guidance on how to create the CAB files and upload them?

Walter

Hi Walter,

You must publish the toolkit to the server from the client machine and then install it as an add-in:

Installing the Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-In

To copy the Toolkit Add-in file to your home server, click Start, click All Programs, click Windows Home Server Toolkit, and then click Publish Server Add-in.<--- you do this on the client machine after installing the toolkit on the client.

If you attempted to run the msi on the server, please go back and follow these steps.

When you create CABs on the client, it should have provided you with a CAB number when it created TALQ.zip.  Did the cmd window close before this number was created?

Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I finally figured this out at least I hope so.  (I have been in pain due to recent knee surgery and not always thinking clearly.)  I sent the talq_desktop.zip file that the toolkit prepared on my desktop. If this is not what you need, please let me know. 

I also realized that my laptop with a new clean install of WIn 7 RC1 320bit was not backing up either.  My wife's desktop with XP Pro backs up normally. 

I included a shot of the Console's report on failed backups for both my desltop and laptop. 

Walter
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:47 PM
  • I too am experiencing the same error message when trying to configure my backups after I receive a warning about a new hard drive and WHS needs configuring.  This happened after full restore when a Vista Boot loader for Windows 7 went awry.  I had to fixmbr, fixboot and carried out a bootcfg /rebuild in recovery console (XP Pro SP3) to get my main raid 0 drive to boot automatically.  I had had an opportunity to rearrange my partitions before the restore so that I had a fast swap drive at the front of the array.

Clearing the registry for "mounteddevices" I got XP to rediscover the drives and then I renamed them in the right fashion for my personal, programs, games and other partitions.  THe PC is running fine now, no issues.  However, although I can open the console and open any backup for my PC, it refuses to allow me to configure the drives.

When I try to do a manual back up, I get this message on the client:

I run both the repair and cleanup utilities and I still get the same message in the console.

Any ideas on a potential solution to get my new set up to back up properly?

EDIT:

In the end I manually copied the drives using Paragon Drive Backup to a spare HDD, uninstalled the connector software, and then removed the PC from the console backup, ran cleanup and repair, and re-ran backup,  Phew!
    • Edited by BobC_01 Monday, June 1, 2009 2:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BobC_01 Monday, June 1, 2009 6:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Walter Wood Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:43 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:05 PM
  • ...This happened after full restore when a Vista Boot loader for Windows 7 went awry.  I had to fixmbr, fixboot and carried out a bootcfg /rebuild in recovery console (XP Pro SP3) to get my main raid 0 drive to boot automatically.  I had had an opportunity to rearrange my partitions before the restore so that I had a fast swap drive at the front of the array...

In the end I manually copied the drives using Paragon Drive Backup to a spare HDD, uninstalled the connector software, and then removed the PC from the console backup, ran cleanup and repair, and re-ran backup,  Phew!

Incredible,

The circumstances you descirbed are not what I encountered so I doubt the solution would be the same.  In any event, it is not clear what drive you copied and then repaired.  What drive did you run cleanup and repair on and how did you do this? 

I have uninstalled the connector, reinstalled it, downloaded the newest copy of the connector and reinstalled it. I also removed my desktop from WHS all to no avial.  I have also run both the Vista drive error-checking tool and Spinrite on all my desktop partitions.  I will run the MS error-checking tool on the WHS drives tonight.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:42 AM
  • I know Walter. I accidentally pressed the Propose an Answer button and couldn't see a way to un propose it!  I just wanted to edit my thread! 
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:58 AM

• Incredible,

The circumstances you descirbed are not what I encountered so I doubt the solution would be the same.  In any event, it is not clear what drive you copied and then repaired.  What drive did you run cleanup and repair on and how did you do this? 

I have uninstalled the connector, reinstalled it, downloaded the newest copy of the connector and reinstalled it. I also removed my desktop from WHS all to no avial.  I have also run both the Vista drive error-checking tool and Spinrite on all my desktop partitions.  I will run the MS error-checking tool on the WHS drives tonight.
    Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.

The drives I copied were on my desktop PC.  I know the chances of my desktop failing as I wiped the Home Server were pretty slim, I nonetheless just did a belt and braces job of making sure I had a copy of all my docs and system files on another HDD in the desktop.  I uninstalled the connector software then in an Remote Desktop session to the WHS desktop and WHS console,  I deleted the Computer entries in the Home Server console (Remove Computer), ran Cleanup in Settings/Backup and then ran repair. Sure all my backups had gone, but on reinstallation of the connector software, I was able to backup again.

TBH, I think the issue for me is that I had introduced a new partition as the first physical partition and then my "C:\" partition right behind it.  I know XP's registry identifies partiitons by their start and end sectors (IIRC), and it may be that WHS got its knickers in a knot whne it tried to compare "partion #1" on the WHS database (was C:\) with the new #1 on the desktop (a new Swap partition).  Well, my $0.02.  HTH
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:06 PM
  • The backup is completing for the C:\ drive but failing on the others.  Tha back up shows Incomplete and the error message for the other drives only says "No failure occurred or no reason for the failure was reported." 

At the moment I am copying all my files off of the drive so I can delete and recreate the partitions. 

Walter
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:56 PM
  • I've been experiencing the same problem.  I have a Media Center PC running Vista with 2 partitions, one for the OS (50 gig) and one for content (2.7 TB ish).  Both partitions are on a RAID 0 array.  One of the drives in that array recently died. 

Anyway, I replaced the drive with an identical model.  WHS restored the whole thing, no problem.  However, it will no longer backup the large partition, only the OS partition. 

If I try to configure backup I get the error:

"The computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive.  Please make sure the computer is powered on and connected to your home network"

If I look at the backups for this machine, they are all marked as Incomplete, with the failed partition marked "Missing" .. and interestingly enough, there is no drive letter next to it.  You can see a screenshot of the backup information here:

http://cid-c3dec8cbc1375998.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/whsbackup.png
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I've been experiencing the same problem.  I have a Media Center PC running Vista with 2 partitions, one for the OS (50 gig) and one for content (2.7 TB ish).  Both partitions are on a RAID 0 array.  One of the drives in that array recently died. 

Anyway, I replaced the drive with an identical model.  WHS restored the whole thing, no problem.  However, it will no longer backup the large partition, only the OS partition. 

If I try to configure backup I get the error:

"The computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive.  Please make sure the computer is powered on and connected to your home network"

If I look at the backups for this machine, they are all marked as Incomplete, with the failed partition marked "Missing" .. and interestingly enough, there is no drive letter next to it.  You can see a screenshot of the backup information here:

http://cid-c3dec8cbc1375998.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/whsbackup.png

Alhtough your problems appear to be the same, your issue as not the same as the original poster's (he combined partitions, yours is due to a drive failure).  You would probably be better off by starting your own thread.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:05 PM
  • I ended up completely redoing my WHS from scratch.  I removed the 80GB primary drive and replaced it with a new 1TB HD and left the 500GB drive as secondary.  I also removed the 30GB USB drive that was attached.  I then reinstalled WHS and ran all the updates. 

I have had no backup problems since but I am still getting some file conflicts pop up.

Walter
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Hi All,

I have started getting the same error after resizing a partition.  I basically have three drives:  XP System; Temp; Data.  I just repartitioned to allocate more space for XP Sys (C:).

PC is up and running fine, but when I try to configure backups I get the message:

"This computer is not online or windows home server cannot access the computer's hard drive"

I have completely removed WHS Connect SW (and deleted directory) and reinstalled.  But it still does not work.  I have run a Manual Backup and it fails giving a message suggesting the Volume is missing.

Any advise on how I can get backups configured and running again.  I am really reluctant to rebuild WHS (again!).

Thanks in advance for any guidance that you anybody can provide.

Regards,

Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Same problem here. I resized my D: partition with Acronis and now WHS dont see that partition and i can't reconfigure. C: is backuping fine. Probably solution would be to delete connector software and delete computer from WHS and then install it again but then i would lose all existing backups. I would like to avoid that.

OS Windows 7 RTM.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Same problem here. I resized my D: partition with Acronis and now WHS dont see that partition and i can't reconfigure. C: is backuping fine. Probably solution would be to delete connector software and delete computer from WHS and then install it again but then i would lose all existing backups. I would like to avoid that.

In several cases I have observed that after a few days, WHS will begin backing up all partitions on it own.  Not sure why.  I would wait four or five days before changing anything. 

Walter

Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:49 AM
  • Assuming that the problem ("The computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive...") is caused by re-partitioning the existing hard drive and/or adding disk storage to your PC:  And assuming that you would like to keep the previous backups.  There's a rather simple solution that I discovered after a lot of investigation.

This is WHS with Power Pack 2.  And I'm assuming you are at least minimally comfortable and conversant with Regedit.  And finally, you must not already have 10 computers being handled by WHS. 

The secret sauce is the GUID contained in the following registry key.

1.  (For safety) Go into Regedit, and export the entire key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server.
    2.  Delete that key from the registry.
    3.  (For convenience, explained later) - change the computer name and/or the computer description.
    4.  Reboot immediately.

The WHS Connector will go through the re-discovery process.  You'll have to supply the WHS password.  (There is a small chance you might have to reinstall the connector).

You will now see your "new" computer available to WHS, and the backup configuration should be good (and "configure" will work if you run it).  Backup will not have been run on the "new" computer, so you may want to run it now (or just wait for the scheduled time).

You will also still have all of the "old" computer's backups, and they will stay around for the normal periods of time.  Turn OFF backups on that "old" computer, to avoid nasty messages, because WHS will never see it again (unless you restore the exported registry key). 

The reason for changing the computer name or description is just so you can more easily tell old from new - WHS really seems to have no problem with having two or more computers with identical names and descriptions.

Hope that helps.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 2:03 AM