Want to clean up windows directories...file conflict, drives don't get used, etc problems! RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, this might be a long description! Due to the corruption issue last spring, I moved all of my videos, mp3s & jpegs to a dedicated NAS. I've got a fresh WHS install with PP1, and things have been fairly stable to decided to move my data back. I added several new Seagate 1.5TB drives (w/ updated firmware) to create the space in my new build. However, I have been having a couple of problems.

First off, the new seagates 1.5TBs have been extremely noisy, with very loud clicking noises periodically. Sounds like a head crash, but they appear to work okay. You can physically feel the clicks when the drive is running. meanwhile, and other drive is dead silent. However, I have noticed that one of the drives sits at 99% capacity, while the others are only at 50%. Why won't WHS balance things better? I thought that maybe there was a problem with the drives that prevented WHS from using them all, but I find nothing in the log files. I also cannot find the drive diagnostics option anymore once installing the 1.1 version of the toolkit. Where is this now? I remember being able to see the results of running chkdsk, or some equivalent.

I then moved back the MP3 library to the Music share, with duplication turned on. I started getting a whole bunch of windows search errors, all pointing to JPEG files within the MP3 folders. These contain cover-art. I then got a File Conflict message on a couple of MP3s. Perhaps there is some latent corruption on the MP3s before I removed them from the WHS a while back??

I then wanted to remove those album art jpegs, but cannot find an efficient way to do it. Dos has very limited wilcard options, as I'd like to use the following: del \\Music\MP3LIB\*\*\*.jp* But unfortunately, it looks like DOS does not support wildcards in pathnames, as I get the following error: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." Anybody have a suggestion on how to perform this function?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    the new Seagate drives have been known for problems, like freezing all 30 seconds or so, so if you have not the latest firmware applied you may have a charge of those.
    File conflict can also mean, that in the current stage due to some reason duplication is not possible, maybe because a file is open.

DEL *.jp* /s
    takes care about files in current folder including those in subfolders (del /? gives the available parameters).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    the new Seagate drives have been known for problems, like freezing all 30 seconds or so, so if you have not the latest firmware applied you may have a charge of those.
    File conflict can also mean, that in the current stage due to some reason duplication is not possible, maybe because a file is open.

DEL *.jp* /s
    takes care about files in current folder including those in subfolders (del /? gives the available parameters).

Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:36 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I updated the firmware in these drives before using them. perhaps there is still a bug? Any idea why WHS is not balancing my data across all drives, and it's keeping the one drive at 98%?

I just realized that I need to delete those jpeg files on my NAS box, and DOS doesn't work with network shares. Not sure how I can clean those up.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:12 AM
  • bondisdead said:

Thanks for the information. I updated the firmware in these drives before using them. perhaps there is still a bug? Any idea why WHS is not balancing my data across all drives, and it's keeping the one drive at 98%?

I just realized that I need to delete those jpeg files on my NAS box, and DOS doesn't work with network shares. Not sure how I can clean those up.

ah yes, that part with balancing is simply irritating wording.
    WHS tries to keep the files together, therefore fills one disk first (and uses a second drive for duplication) until only around 10 GByte of free space are remaining on a disk.
    See also here for a short description.

If DOS really does not allow to access the shares directly (I don't go with that statement, since a lot of cmd line tools are allowing manipulating stuff on UNC path and cmd.exe is not really DOS any more), you always could map a network drive before accessing the data.

Olaf
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:58 AM