Add second server to OCS Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am looking at trying to add another FE server into our OCS 2007 R2 EE pool and just want to check the steps that would be required to do this or if it is the same as when you add the first FE server to the pool? We do not have the use of a director and do not want to go down that step. The second FE would be in a different location.

Site 1                           Site 2
    FE Server 1                   FE Server 2
    Backend Server
    EE Server

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:12 AM

Answers

• Thanks Guys,
    I thought that i could add the second server to the pool to help with resource loading. Was trying to have the setup so that site 2 users would use that FE server 2 while most others used FE server 1.
    As Jeff said i may be better using the poor man's setup for load balancing.
    Our FE servers are virtual.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:54 AM

All replies

• A Director is not required, but a Hardware Load Balancer is, and you have not mentioend whether you have this component ready to deploy.  Also, deploying multiple Front End servers across different sites may or may not work, depending on your network configuration.

Take a look at the OCS R2 High Availabilty White Paper for more detail on what is supported in terms of multi-site topologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=c930febb-3a44-4bf3-969d-1c52675a7063
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Thanks Jeff.
    We do not have an HLB and we will not be getting one. I was hoping that i could add the second server into the pool and that would suffice?

If i add the second server into the pool, would there be any implications without the use of the HLB?

Cheers
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:33 AM
  • An HLB is a hard requirement for a multi-node Enterprise Edition pool, it will simply not work without one.  You only real option to use two servers without would be to create a second EE pool (which would itself require a dedicated SQL instance) and then move half of the users over to that pool, creating a poor-man's load balanced setup. 
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Hi
    What about your issue?
    Jeff has gave a good explaination.
    If you still have some issue, please tell us.

Regards!
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Just want ed to add to Jeffs comments. Its not that the pool wont work at all but without the load balancer there is no real point in adding a second server because without a virtual identity for the pool you wont be abel to register users on the second server becuase your pool DNS record will only have on IP address of a front end and there fore clients will never be able to connect to the second server. So you would pretty much be adding the second server for no point without the HLB. The HLB also helps with internal communication between the front end servers.

Cheers
    Chris
    http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Thanks Guys,
    I thought that i could add the second server to the pool to help with resource loading. Was trying to have the setup so that site 2 users would use that FE server 2 while most others used FE server 1.
    As Jeff said i may be better using the poor man's setup for load balancing.
    Our FE servers are virtual.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:54 AM