Another non-genuine Windows XP query RRS feed

• Question

• Like many other customers I too have discovered that my local computer supplier has installed a copy of Windows XP Professional on my system and has not supplied an original CD.

He has offered to 'fix' the problem but I don't have much confidence in his suggestions.

I was about to purchase a new product key from Microsoft but i have read so many reports on this forum of problems with going the official route I'm worried I may lose all my data.

I have a genuine copy of Windows XP Professional update that I used to update my laptop. I did activate the copy but there are still bugs and I can't actually use the laptop.

Can I use the update version to make XP on my PC genuine and if so how do I do it?

Thanks hopefully

Joyce

Monday, June 26, 2006 9:51 PM

Answers

• JoyceR,

In order to upgrade, one must first have something to be upgraded.

It sounds like the computer that now has a bogus installation of XP Pro came from the computer assembler that way.  If that's true, then there is no legitimate Operating System associated with that computer, so you have nothing to upgrade from.

Computers with no previous operating system can have a genuine license for Windows installed in one of two ways:

1.  Systembuilder/OEM license, which once installed on the computer is tied to the computer and cannot be transferred to another.  Typical prices in the USA for XP Home are $75-90 and Pro $135-155.

2.  Full packaged product (aka "retail") which will have "for PCs without an operating system or with Windows 95)" printed on the nice pretty retail box.  Typical prices in the USA are $199 XP Home and $299 XP Pro.

If you are on a tight budget, choose systembuilder/OEM XP Home.  Since XP Pro is installed, to install XP Home you have to do a clean installation requiring that all of your user data and programs be backed up.

If your budget permits, and you qualify, take the Genuine Windows Offer of XP Pro for $149.  You are actually getting the same full license for XP Pro sold at retail for $299, but at a 50% discount.  If your system hasn't been hacked too badly, no clean installation of XP will be required and you can get legal almost instantly after signing up for the GWO by using the Product Key they will send you and the key updater utility. 

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:30 PM

All replies

• Is the copy of Windows XP Professional Upgrade (SP2?) an OEM copy or Retail? (it should say on the COA label).

-phil liu

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:18 AM
  • I think its retail. I bought it originally to upgrade my old Windows 98 PC but didn't use it for that.

The COA label says Windows  XP Professional English Intl Upg CD  E85 -00089  Origin Ireland

Does that help?

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:41 AM
  • JoyceR,

In order to upgrade, one must first have something to be upgraded.

It sounds like the computer that now has a bogus installation of XP Pro came from the computer assembler that way.  If that's true, then there is no legitimate Operating System associated with that computer, so you have nothing to upgrade from.

Computers with no previous operating system can have a genuine license for Windows installed in one of two ways:

1.  Systembuilder/OEM license, which once installed on the computer is tied to the computer and cannot be transferred to another.  Typical prices in the USA for XP Home are $75-90 and Pro $135-155.

2.  Full packaged product (aka "retail") which will have "for PCs without an operating system or with Windows 95)" printed on the nice pretty retail box.  Typical prices in the USA are $199 XP Home and $299 XP Pro.

If you are on a tight budget, choose systembuilder/OEM XP Home.  Since XP Pro is installed, to install XP Home you have to do a clean installation requiring that all of your user data and programs be backed up.

If your budget permits, and you qualify, take the Genuine Windows Offer of XP Pro for $149.  You are actually getting the same full license for XP Pro sold at retail for $299, but at a 50% discount.  If your system hasn't been hacked too badly, no clean installation of XP will be required and you can get legal almost instantly after signing up for the GWO by using the Product Key they will send you and the key updater utility. 

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. It makes sense that I can't upgrade because in theory I don't have a 'paid for' OS.

I'll probably go for the Genuine Windows Offer of XP Pro because I want to avoid the hassle of backing up for a clean install.

Still a bit concerned about all the problems people are reporting but I can only try.

Thanks

Joyce

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:30 PM