Primary Computer running Windows 7 will not open shared folders in new Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks...I installed the WHS (Acer Easy Store H340) as outlined. however the primary computer (connected to Router) will not open folders in the consul or via the shared folder link placed by connector on the desktop.  Primary computer is running Windows 7.

My Dell XPS 1530 laptop running Vista Home Premium and using a wireless connection does open the folders.

A second laptop running XP Pro SP3 will not connect...cant get the connector software to install as the Wizard  it does not locate the server.  

Any advice will be appreciated.  Computers are well maintained and run great.

Yours aye,,,,airbornesapper

P.S.  A futureShop  Canada tech spent 2.5 hours on this and did not fix it.

Update....I managed to get the XP laptop connected (manually located server if that makes sense)....

Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hi folks...I installed the WHS (Acer Easy Store H340) as outlined. however the primary computer (connected to Router) will not open folders in the consul or via the shared folder link placed by connector on the desktop.  Primary computer is running Windows 7.

My Dell XPS 1530 laptop running Vista Home Premium and using a wireless connection does open the folders.

A second laptop running XP Pro SP3 will not connect...cant get the connector software to install as the Wizard  it does not locate the server.  

Update....I managed to get the XP laptop connected (manually located server if that makes sense)....

Can you successfully ping your server from your Win7 client, both by name and by IP address?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Could you advise how to do that please. I spent hours today wiping and trying to reinstall the WHS via the client ( my main computer). After finally restoring the ACER I actually had a 1/2 red and 1/2 blue i light. But after reinstalling connector/consul software its back to red. With the same problem, i.e it won't open shared folders using the desktop icon or from within the consul. I don't think it is supposed to be this hard...can't see many being sold at this rate. I like what this server is supposed to do but if the client PC won't connect...what is the point. Could the problem be my Belkin Vision N1 router? My wireless connection works fine. To me I may as well just access my normal external back-up drive... Again appreciate the help.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Could you advise how to do that please. I spent hours today wiping and trying to reinstall the WHS via the client ( my main computer). After finally restoring the ACER I actually had a 1/2 red and 1/2 blue i light. But after reinstalling connector/consul software its back to red. With the same problem, i.e it won't open shared folders using the desktop icon or from within the consul. I don't think it is supposed to be this hard...can't see many being sold at this rate. I like what this server is supposed to do but if the client PC won't connect...what is the point. Could the problem be my Belkin Vision N1 router? My wireless connection works fine. To me I may as well just access my normal external back-up drive... Again appreciate the help.
    I don't have an Acer, but usually red lights are bad.  :)  You might want to check the manual to see what the error message associated with that light is and/or contact Acer for support.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:18 AM

Both of my computers connected to my WHS are running WIN7, I have no problem connecting. I would make sure that you have the latest version of the WHS mine has SP2 installed. I did not have any problems with install of the WHS as I built my box.

as for pinging from the run command type ping and then the IP you wish to ping

Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Power Pack 3 brought support for Windows 7, although the basic features also work with Power Pack 2 (not Service Pack, since this refers to Windows Server 2003 as the underlying OS!).

Other reasons can be selection of network on the client as public, disabled file and printer sharing on the client, a 3rd party firewall, wrong network configuration, which leads to name resolution issues.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 7, 2010 6:49 PM