WHS OEM reinstall after system crash license issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have an OEM copy of WHS that I installed on an old desktop system that I wasn't using. Apparently I experienced a catastrophic power supply failure that took out the MB and CPU. I've tried the CPU in a known good MB and tried the MB with a known good CPU, both are fried as is the power supply. My question is, if I get a replacement MB/CPU, will I be able to reinstall my copy of WHS or will I have to get another copy? The 4 hard drives that were in the system are still good (as far as I can tell), whatever happened just took out the MB/CPU and power supply. At this point, I'm not concerned about the data stored on the hard drives as much as I am about the license issue with WHS as I see there are ways of recovering all the data.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 12:23 AM

Answers

• Per the EULA, the product key is tied to the hardware you initially installed on. This is standard for OEM and system builder software.

That said, go ahead and reinstall/reactivate. If you are told you need to activate over the phone, do so. Explain politely if asked that you are replacing hardware which failed. You shouldn't have any trouble.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by kehart25 Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:16 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:12 PM

All replies

• Per the EULA, the product key is tied to the hardware you initially installed on. This is standard for OEM and system builder software.

That said, go ahead and reinstall/reactivate. If you are told you need to activate over the phone, do so. Explain politely if asked that you are replacing hardware which failed. You shouldn't have any trouble.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by kehart25 Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:16 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately, this isn't the first catasrophic failure I've experienced involving Windows and hardware. I never had any problems with an OEM copy of XP Pro that I've been using, I just wasn't sure if WHS would be the same. I've learned the hard way that inexpensive power supply are cheap for a reason.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:20 PM
    I've learned the hard way that inexpensive power supply are cheap for a reason.
    And thank you for understanding that Microsoft isn't responsible for an "unfortunate" hardware decision. :)

Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:29 PM