Remote access configuration question RRS feed

• Question

• I am able to setup remote access to my home server successfully but something odd has to happen for it to work. Ports 80, 443 and 4125 are forwarded on the router to the reserved IP address of the WHS. If I configure the dsl modem to forward ports 80, 443 and 4125 to the IP of the router the WHS console passes all remote access tests. If i only forward ports 443 and 4125 I can still connect to the WHS web page but the console says remote access is unavailable and will fail to repair or refresh successfully. I can get around this by enabling port forwarding to port 80 on the modem, running the tests and passing then disabling port 80 again on the modem. However whenever I turn remote access off and back on again I will have to go through this again. Is there something wrong somewhere or is this scenario working out as expected?
    Monday, June 8, 2009 12:27 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server tests your connectivity when it boots, or when you turn off/on the Remote Access web site. So if you want to use the Remote Access web site, you should leave the ports it uses (80, 443, and 4125) forwarded correctly if you don't want Windows Home Server to detect a "problem". If you don't mind the issue it reports, don't forward port 80. You can still reach your server using a URL like https://efjay.homeserver.com/remote.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by efjay Monday, June 8, 2009 3:42 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:27 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server tests your connectivity when it boots, or when you turn off/on the Remote Access web site. So if you want to use the Remote Access web site, you should leave the ports it uses (80, 443, and 4125) forwarded correctly if you don't want Windows Home Server to detect a "problem". If you don't mind the issue it reports, don't forward port 80. You can still reach your server using a URL like https://efjay.homeserver.com/remote.
    • Marked as answer by efjay Monday, June 8, 2009 3:42 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:27 AM
  • OK, thank you for the explanation. I asked as I presume using port 443 is preferred because its more secure, correct?
    Monday, June 8, 2009 2:34 AM
  • Yes port 443 is the HTTPS port for security
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:31 AM
  • Windows Home Server only uses port 80 for the initial server access (if that). Everything after that is secure. However, leaving port 80 pointed to your server is potentially a good idea, because people won't always remember they need to start with a secure connection (HTTPS protocol).
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:14 PM