Home Server download and install sw??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a a 2008 home server and need to install it on my new computer, I can't find the installation disk. Where can I find and download the installation sw?
    Sunday, June 14, 2015 7:22 PM

Answers

• Technically an upgrade from WHS v.1 to WHS 2011 is not possible. (Changing from 32 Bit to 64 Bit OS always requires a fresh installation.)

Also the product key of WHS v.1 and WHS 2011 are not identical, you would need a new license, if you still can get one in the market (regular availibility ended years ago).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:30 AM

All replies

• When you say you have WHS but not the disk, what do you mean? As far as I am aware, there are no legitimate downloads available. If you have the activation codes, you could try borrowing a disk from someone you know.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, June 14, 2015 9:00 PM
  • I cannot find the installation disks. I must install the programs on a new computer. The old computer that had the Cosole on it is gone. How do I access my archived files?

Monday, June 15, 2015 12:33 PM
  • For accessing the files check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

As for the installation medium - depends. Is your home server self built or OEM? If OEM, you need to contact the manufacturer ... but that would not work on a new computer. If self built platforms like ebay would be your only chance, but be aware, that Server 2003 (which includes WHS v.1) end of life is reached within the next month.

If you have a certain MSDN subscription, you may also have the possibility still to download the software or WHS 2011.

Olaf

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:04 AM
  • I have an HP laptop with Home Server sw running on it. I have an HP desktop. I must return my laptop to my company. I want to install the Home Server sw on my desktop but I can't find the installation disks. What can I do? I do not want to lose the files on the Home Server.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

I understand your laptop acts as the server?

You always can copy the files (shared folders) to another machines disk or an external drive.

Or you could try to clone the disk to the disk in the laptop with 3rd party software or using server backup.

Olaf

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:54 PM

• Hi, I have an HP data vault x510 with OEM windows home server, I want to upgrade to windows home server 2011, but my key does´nt work, is there a way to upgrade or i have to buy a licence? thanks a lot.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:20 PM
  • Technically an upgrade from WHS v.1 to WHS 2011 is not possible. (Changing from 32 Bit to 64 Bit OS always requires a fresh installation.)

Also the product key of WHS v.1 and WHS 2011 are not identical, you would need a new license, if you still can get one in the market (regular availibility ended years ago).

Olaf

Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:30 AM