Spyware not removed and pop-ups continue... RRS feed

• Question

• Once my laptop powers up and the start screen is finishing, I receive a message stating that a program has been blocked by my firewall.  At that moment, firewall notifies me of a program trying to access the internet, ask me to allow or deny the access, I deny.  Then Once Care notifies me of a Trojan and ask me to allow a cleaning, I allow. Then firewall notifies me of another threat and ask me to allow a cleaning, I allow.  Moments later, I’m notified that both have been removed and suggest a virus scan, I allow.  Scan reports no problems.  However, once computer is re-booted, same procedures occur with the same two items found, blocked and then removed, virus scan run, nothing found.   I’m also having problems with pop-ups to random sites for advertisements, my pop-up blocker is on.  And on top of that, out of the blue, a webpage starts to load itself, with an over 100 letter address, and continues to load multiple pages. To the point that I have to shut off computer manually in order to stop it, I cannot keep up with the number of pages opening.  Gateway Laptop with XP, only 2 months old, windowa live care intalled on 2nd day owned and auto updates.... Problem started 3 days ago when I did a XP update for somekind of security update from mircosoft...PLEASE HELP!

Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Fasha, please contact support for help with malware that One Care cannot detect or cannot remove. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Thanks for the link, I will check it out. But I think I might have fixed it myself.  I ran another virus scan, when the box popped up informing me about the Trojan, I choose administrator options and then choose to have it quarantined. I was then prompted to do a restart.  After restart, I got an error message that the program I had quarantined, was not able to load.  So far, I have not gotten any pop-ups and the internet is loading much faster.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:46 AM