Custom Field Missing in Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I had an issue today with another administrator updating a custom lookup table. All that was added was another value to that table. After the table was saved the person when back to MSP and noticed the field was now missing from the list. 

Here is what I have done so far,

--On my test machine I have cleared the cache.

--Check for any missing updates on my machine or the servers.

I am just out of ideas here, I don't understand why updating the lookup table would cause this much of an issues. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

Monday, April 25, 2011 7:54 PM

Answers

• pohlmann --

Excuse me for jumping into this thread, but in the error dialog you show in the screenshot, the ECF is a task field and NOT a project field.  If it is a task field, it will not be displayed in the Project Information dialog.  The only way to see the field is to insert it as a column in any task view. Might that explain the source of your problem?

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Proposed as answer by Gaurav Wason Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by pohlmann Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

I've certainly never seen this issue before.  What version of Project Server are you using?  If 2010, is there a department associated with the ECF which could make it disappear.  Also of course, have you closed and re-opened Project to download the latest Enterprise Global?

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Thanks Ben for responding,

We are Project 2007. I have tried closing and re-opening Project, still the custom field is missing. But is marked to be required. Could there be a setting that marks that custom field as invisible? 

Thanks!

Matt

Monday, April 25, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Hi Matt,

To confirm, is this a Project, Resource or Task field?

There is no setting to mark a field as invisible.  Have you checked within Enterprise Custom Fields that the field is still there - it is possible to delete them of course....

Monday, April 25, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Hi Ben, 

Its a Task field. I did verify in Enterprise Custom Fields that its still there. Could this Task field be corrupt?

Thanks!

Monday, April 25, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I have seen sometimes that the custom fields lose their names, and end up with a name such as MSJJJJ.  Worth editing the task ECF again, saving it, closing project, opening project again.  

Monday, April 25, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Thanks for getting back to me, I did edit the task ECF again, saved it, closed out of project and came back in and same thing. So I thought I would try to create a new ECF task called AE for task 2 and see if it would show up in project and it didn't. When I go save a project I get a dialog box coming up with the ECF and in bright red letters saying "Invaild custom field value."  I have added some screenshots to a skydrive account, maybe it will help make more sense of the issue.

http://cid-c154e5badb9865a9.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Screenshots/save^_project.JPG

Thanks for all the help so far Ben!

Matt

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Matt,

Try this with new project. Don't open any old project.

See if the field is missing or not.

Gaurav

Thanks Gaurav Wason MCITP, PMP
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Yeah we created a new project by template and the custom fields did not show up. To be its like they are not being published for some reason. 

Thanks!

Matt  

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Don't use template. Just a blank project. I have seen this issue with our 2007 environment where fields were stuck in templates and only new projects were getting updated custom fields.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Tried just creating a blank project and no dice, the two custom fields are still missing.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:18 PM
  • From your skydrive shots, it would appear that at least Class is missing.  What happens if you try insert | column | class - does it appear in that list?  If not, I would manually delete the project cachce - close project and navigate to %appdata%\Microsoft\MS Project\12\cache and delete everything.  This will re-force a re-load of the Enterprise Global.   Then create a new project to see if the data is there.  If it is not then...

1.  You are not connecting to the correct instance.

2.  Your EGT is corrupt.

Also, dialogue regarding the tasks - Save to Project to Enterprise, it would appear you are importing existing mpp plans.  Is this correct (not that it should make a difference).

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:36 PM
  • pohlmann --

Excuse me for jumping into this thread, but in the error dialog you show in the screenshot, the ECF is a task field and NOT a project field.  If it is a task field, it will not be displayed in the Project Information dialog.  The only way to see the field is to insert it as a column in any task view. Might that explain the source of your problem?

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Proposed as answer by Gaurav Wason Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by pohlmann Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Yeah that does make sense now. So Question, if I already have an Enterprise Custom Field that is a Task, can it be modified to be a Project? When I click on it and try to modify it its grayed out. Do you know of any way of changing that?

Ben,

Thanks for you help on this, I am think what Dale said is the solution here. I am really hoping I don't have a corrupt Global Template.

Thanks All!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:41 PM
  • You will need another field for project level. You use the same lookup table.

Thanks

Gaurav Wason

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:58 PM
  • pohlmann --

As Gaurav said, you need to create a new custom enterprise project file and then attach the existing lookup table to the new field.  There is no way to convert a field from one type to another.  And you are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:50 PM