Reading Project Server Data on Sharepoint Site - Will there be any license issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If I want to display the project server data in any external system , will there be any licensing issue?  
    I would like to know , if we want to dispaly the project data on a sharepoint list  i.e open and closed project list on a sharepoint , will there be any licensing issue?

Thanks in advance  

Vinay Gupta
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:16 AM

Answers

• Always check with your MSFT licensing rep.  That being said, my rule of thumb
    is that if you access live Project Server data, which in this case you are,
    you will need a CAL.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Kennemer, MVP Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hans.H Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Always check with your MSFT licensing rep.  That being said, my rule of thumb
    is that if you access live Project Server data, which in this case you are,
    you will need a CAL.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Kennemer, MVP Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hans.H Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:11 PM
  • To add to Anderew's post there can be some situations where if you are providing data to External users the licensing can be slightly differnt than the simple CAL model but for sure if you are hitting Project Server data then there is likely to be some licensing impact.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for the response, is it feasible to populate that data in temp table then display it.
    Vinay Gupta
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Feasible? Yes. But I dont know if that gets you out of the licensing issues.

you should really talk to a Microsoft licensing rep about this. There are some technical details to these kinds of things that Im not great with.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:49 PM