Remote Access - Shared Folders: File Associations RRS feed

• General discussion

• Good morning!

I have a suggestion concerning the file icons in the Shared Folders section of WHS Remote Access:

While browsing my shared folders, I noticed that the file associations (and icons) are referencing the WHS computer.  For example, my Word documents are associated as a "WordPad Document" with an icon of .  My PDF documents were not recognized and had a generic icon of .

I understand that the files reside on my WHS and that Office (or Adobe Reader) is not installed and therefore, can't display the proper associations/icons.  However, since WHS's target audience is based on the "Average home user", I think it would be beneficial to have a database of known associations/icons for the Shared Folder browser control to display the correct associations and icons.  Right now, the only way to see the correct assn. is to install these products on the WHS (which would be a bad idea of course!)

Thanks for your time (and thanks for a great product!)

Joe Cogan

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:01 PM

All replies

• I have a workaround for this suggestion: when you browse to C:\Inetpub\remote\images\typeIcons\ you will see icons with a file extention in the filename. I replaced the icons with a name starting with .pdf with icons/pictures of a pdf-file, like (http://www.designexposystems.com/images/popup_classic/icon_pdf.png) and the pdf file icon will show up in remote access website.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:02 PM