2 WHS on the same network? RRS feed

• Question

• Can you install and run two Windows Home Servers on the same network?  I would like to have one for my business and one for my family.  Also, if this is possible, can I remotely access each of these machines from the web through remote access?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff 
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:00 AM

All replies

• Jeff PB said:

Can you install and run two Windows Home Servers on the same network?

Yes, as long as they have different server names.  However, each PC can only be joined to a single WHS at any one time.  (You can't have a single client tied to both servers at the same time for purposes of backups and Remote Access.)

Jeff PB said:

I would like to have one for my business and one for my family.  Also, if this is possible, can I remotely access each of these machines from the web through remote access?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff 

Although it's unsupported, it should work if you change the default listening ports on one of the servers in IIS, change the Windows Firewall settings on the server to allow access to those new ports, then use that port number in the address of the website (i.e. http://xxxxxxxx.homeserver.com:1234 to connect to port 1234 on your website).  (Oh, and also make sure your ISP is not blocking those ports either.)

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:14 AM
  • You can have more than one server, yes. Make sure to give the second one a different name when you set it up, and (as karyia21 has mentioned) you'll only be able to have a computer joined to a single server.

Remote access is a more difficult question. In theory you can simply change the ports on the second server as suggested. In reality, doing so may cause your server to report problems with the web site. In addition, the server's web site is also used during the process of joining a computer to the server, and this may not work if the ports have been changed. Finally, you will not be able to configure more than one server to offer remote desktop access to home computers; the specific port that's used for that is not configurable at all. You should join the computers you want to be able to access remotely to a single server, and make sure that one is the one configured for remote access.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:05 PM