WHS 2011 client desktops can't connect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been having issues with Launchpad/Dashboard unable to connect to WHS 2011 server (final release) after client computer restart or after shutdown. Client computers run Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Access to shared folders and remoting into the server using remote desktop software works fine, it's just that the launchpad/dashboard can't connect. Restarting the server fixes the problem until I restart the client desktops again. Very weird.

Thank you,

Andrew

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:13 AM

Answers

• This seems to point to network driver issues. So the first attempt would be to try a different network driver.

For Windows XP/2003 in similar situation a registry hack helped to increase the buffer size, not have needed this for Windows 7/Server 2008 until now (and I dont know, if these configuration settings still make sense).

The .reg file used here had following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "PagedPoolSize"=dword:ffffffff
    "PoolUsageMaximum"=dword:00000030

In case you apply this, you should take a note of the original settings. Reboot will be required after the change.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by dzhigo Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

as a shot into the blue I would blame again the infamous name resolution by misconfigured home router (i.e. DNS suffix or DNS search suffix).

Olaf

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:05 PM
  • I'd gladly re-configure the router or even consider buying a replacement. However everything was working fine with the prevoius version of WHS and I did not change any settings on the router (I have Linksys E4200). I also noticed today that my PS3 does not see Media Server on WHS 2011 without server reboot either. Any ideas about what I should re-configre in the router are much appreciated (the router does have UPNP enabled, and PS3 is able to see Media Server on Windows 7 desktops without any issues).

Thank you,

Andrew

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

which hardware platform do you use?

Maybe the network drivers or the card are disconnecting randomly. Does the network adapter fall into sleep (Device Manager/Properties of Network adapter/Power Management)? If so, uncheck the box.which allows the computer to power off the device.

If this is not the case and also a network card driver update does not help, we would be back to misconfiguration - and the results of ipconfig /all issued in a servers command prompt would be helpful.

Olaf

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Sorry for the delay but I was away for the weekend. Looks like I found what's causing the services to disappear from the network. I had it happened again this morning so I remoted into the server using RDP and launched the dahsboard locally. Immediately I saw 2 alerts:

1. From 2:52 AM that this service went down: Windows Server Client Backup Provider.

2. From 7:52 AM saying that the following services are down: Windows Server Addin Infrastructure, Windows Server Domain Name Management, Windows Server Identity Management Service, Windows Server Networking Helper Service, Windows Server Notifications Provider Service, Windows Server Server Backup Service.

After I clicked on "Try to repair the issue" links on both alerts, the services came back up and all the connectivity to the server was restored.  Based on this I think that my route configured fine and the problem is with the above services going down for a yet unknown reason. Would you have any suggestions as to where I can look to find out why these services went down?

Thank you very much,

Andrew

Monday, May 30, 2011 1:32 PM
  • So its eventually the client backup database on the server which is nitiating the crash - or the disk on which it is stored.

Do the drives go to sleep if longer not used? Is there running some task during the time, in which the service goes down?

Olaf

Monday, May 30, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for quick reply. I looked into system event logs for errors around the time the services went down. This is what I saw (it's just one example, but the same error happend for all the service that went down; looks like there is a socket resource problem or maybe a leak):

The 'Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service' service (AddinInfrastructureSvc) failed while starting. Additional error information: Unhandled exception in OnStart: System.InsufficientMemoryException: Insufficient winsock resources available to complete socket connection initiation. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalBind(EndPoint localEP)

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.BeginConnectEx(EndPoint remoteEP, Boolean flowContext, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.BeginConnect(EndPoint remoteEP, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionInitiator.ConnectAsyncResult.StartConnect()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionInitiator.ConnectAsyncResult.StartConnect()

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionInitiator.ConnectAsyncResult..ctor(Uri uri, TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionInitiator.BeginConnect(Uri uri, TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnectionAsyncResult.OpenUsingNewConnection()

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnectionAsyncResult..ctor(ConnectionPoolHelper parent, TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OpenAsyncResult..ctor(ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel duplexChannel, TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnBeginOpen(TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.OpenAsyncResult.InvokeOpen()

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.BeginOpen(TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Internal.CommunicationObjectWrapper`1.OnBeginOpen(TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.OpenAsyncResult.InvokeOpen()

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.BeginOpen(TimeSpan timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at System.ServiceModel.ICommunicationObject.BeginOpen(AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Internal.AutoReconnecter`1._BeginConnect()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderRegistryConnectionMgmt`1.ConnectWhenAvailable(Int32 spinWaitMillis, Action operation, IRegistryCallback informOfProviderUpdateCallback)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ConnectorFactory.get__PrsProxy()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ConnectorFactory.SetupConnector[T](ProviderConnector`1 providerConnector)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ConnectorFactory.GetConnector[T](String identifier, Object callback)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ConnectorFactory.GetServerConnector[T](String identifier, Object callback, NetworkCredential credential)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.AddinInfrastructure.AddInManager.BuildConnector[T](Boolean server, Object callback, String id)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.AddinInfrastructure.AddInManager..ctor()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.AddinInfrastructure.DownloadProvider..ctor(String[] paths, Boolean listenForChanges)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.AddinInfrastructure.AddInMetadataProvider..ctor(String[] paths, IMetadataStore store, ISqmHelper sqmHelper)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.AddinInfrastructure.ProviderBuilder.CreateServerAddinProvider()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Internal.AddInService.CreateProviderHosts()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderServiceBase._OpenHosts()

Monday, May 30, 2011 2:19 PM
  • This seems to point to network driver issues. So the first attempt would be to try a different network driver.

For Windows XP/2003 in similar situation a registry hack helped to increase the buffer size, not have needed this for Windows 7/Server 2008 until now (and I dont know, if these configuration settings still make sense).

The .reg file used here had following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "PagedPoolSize"=dword:ffffffff
    "PoolUsageMaximum"=dword:00000030

In case you apply this, you should take a note of the original settings. Reboot will be required after the change.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by dzhigo Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Olaf,

Thanks a lot for all the pointers you gave me. I think I finally solved the issue. Two things that I did:

1. Disabled HDD sleep in power options

2. Updatde to the latest Realtek driver for the network card: 7.045 dated 2011-05-23

Not sure which one fixed the problem (maybe combination of the two) but my server has been running flawlessly for over 24 hours now.

Thank you very much,

Andrew

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:03 AM
  • I have the exact problem that you have. Not sure if this happened to yours, but mine worked fine on install and only stopped after I turned on some roles and features, then turned them off. I'm sure it has something to do with roles and features under the server manager. Another issue i was trying to fix originally was the sms2.0 host error on network drives. only after the different things I tried to fix that caused the dashboard to crash, which also affects the web services,. When the dash fails to work it also affects my ability to give a server name for the DNS or DynDDNS.org settings in the router. so they both affect the same thing. after some research and digging, i have still not found the exact ROLE or FEATURE under server manager or services that allows me to let the Dashboard work, or the DDNS.org. I went after the roles first under remote web etc,, today, i haven't checked it yet. I feel pretty confident that something in there is whats affecting the Dash. 

But currently I go into the server Dash and try turning on Web or the repair in there and the Dash on the server just shuts down. I can go into Task manager and end task on explorer.exe and then reload it as a short cut to rebooting on the different things I've tried, but no luck yet. I'm still turning on ROLEs and off again trying to locate the gremlin. If I find it I'll surely post it on here as I'm sure Im not the only one with this frustration. I have a son that is deployed and the DDNS services would be great so I can retrieve photos and video. 

Monday, May 28, 2012 3:03 AM
  • I have the same issue. I can see all the drives files, server, everything i have. I cant seem to find the disconnect problem with the Dash. I do know that if it doesn't load on the server, the clients wont load. I have the strong opinion that something in the ROLES under server manager is affecting it. It would really bother me if it never worked, but for some reason the DDNS Web services stopped working at the same time. Im thinking they're connected by the same failure of the dashboard. Whats aggrevating is the Dash on the client pops up. Still cant use it, but its there as a bad reminder. 
    Monday, May 28, 2012 3:12 AM