WHS folders in File Explorer over the internet ? RRS feed

• Question

• Background:

I have Windows Home Server 2011 running with all my pictures/music/videos stored there. All of this is being shared/streamed to various PC’s/DLNA devices on my home network. (And working great!)

Problem:

As my primary PC now has a small SSD drive, I can’t fit a duplicate of all my picures+music with me on the go anymore…

Question:

How can I access the pictures folder on my WHS – as in natively within the File Explorer on my PC - when I am not connected to my home network? (e.g. over the internet)

> ATM, I have mapped my WHS pictures folder in File Explorer and have ‘included it in’ my ‘My Pictures’ … that way my programs (and I) have easy access to my pictures mapped to my home server… but this obviously breaks when I leave home as its mapped to \\homeserver\pictures

I have tried to map to the IP address of my WHS – but that doesn’t seem to work.

Look forward to hearing if there is an easy solution here!

Friday, August 3, 2012 12:48 PM

All replies

•  

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Background:

I have Windows Home Server 2011 running with all my pictures/music/videos stored there. All of this is being shared/streamed to various PC�??s/DLNA devices on my home network. (And working great!)

Problem:

As my primary PC now has a small SSD drive, I can�??t fit a duplicate of all my picures+music with me on the go anymore�?�

Question:

How can I access the pictures folder on my WHS �?? as in natively within the File Explorer on my PC - when I am not connected to my home network? (e.g. over the internet)

> ATM, I have mapped my WHS pictures folder in File Explorer and have �??included it in�?? my �??My Pictures�?? �?� that way my programs (and I) have easy access to my pictures mapped to my home server�?� but this obviously breaks when I leave home as its mapped to \\homeserver\pictures

I have tried to map to the IP address of my WHS �?? but that doesn�??t seem to work.

Look forward to hearing if there is an easy solution here!

BullDawg
    Friday, August 3, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Notwithstanding the post above, you can't do exactly what you want with WHS2011. WHS1 had an add-in to allow it but as far as I am aware, it's not available for WHS2011.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike AU Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:32 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Thanks BullDawg for the reply.

The video you shared goes through how to setup & use remote web access. I already have this running and it is useful - the problem with this approach is I am limited to accessing my files via the browser only (once logged in).

What I am looking to do, is map my HWS pictures & music folder on my PC - so programs like Picasa/Zune can be mapped to scan that folder... This way I can access these files - either naively in File Explorer or via one of these prgms without having the files on my PC - as I don't have room thanks to SSD HDD size :)

After some quick research, the only thing I can see that does this is WebDAV... but am having major performance issues when I am outside of the home network - e.g. my music files won't even stream in Zune (it times out).

Any advice is appreciated !

M

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Phil.

I am using WHS2011.

It looks like WebDAV does in theory what I am after - I ran the following prgm: http://webdavwhs.codeplex.com and got it working... but, the deal breaker with this is, the performance is so slow outside of my homenetwork it basically doesn't work.

Also, I would be interested in any thoughts on the security implications of turning on WebDAV - eg.g does it make my WHS an easy hack target who could trash all my precious personal files !?)

M

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:08 PM
  • WebDAV definitely exposes your server to additional risks; anything that increases your server's internet "surface area" does so. You can search for e.g. webdav security risks and learn more about what some past vulnerabilities have been.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:09 PM
  • I have installed Hamachi - Logmein on the whs and my laptot and created network on Hamachi. Now I can browse mapped drive \\homeserver\pictures even if i am not at my home. I have very liitle knowledge of network and security.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:23 PM
  • The performance over WAN connections is, besides the security stuff (hacker attacks, automated malware attacks, data protection mechanics of browser or application "Ugh this file comes from the Internet, I must protect you from it, it is potential dangerous"), a show stopper for acting as you want. Internet connections are not always as stable and performant as an application is expecting, the upload speed of your home Internet connection is usually much slower than the download speed, so you cannot expect wonders to happen as soon as the data files are getting a little bit larger. And a little bit starts maybe around 500 KB file size. Especially if your application also wants to write into the file, you can easy end up demolishing the file due to a latency, which makes the application crash.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:45 PM