Upgrade problem from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all,

I have a similar problem to Brittone,

I have an Asus laptop with XP home and wanted to upgrade to XP Pro for IIS functionality.  This is due to wanting to get into the web design industry and having just qualified in a CIW master designer course.  But I have more to learn and I want to use IIS and .Net technologies too, hence the upgrade.

I purchased an OEM XP Pro product with SP2 from an etailer, under the impression I could do an upgrade from my XP Home but I get the same/similar error as Brittone,

"When I start my system, it says I may be a victom of software conterfeiting and that my XP isn't a genuine version."

When I try and validate, I get an error message and a request to send a report.  The details suggest that I may have a counterfeit version, and I do worry because my Norton antivirus no longer works correctly.  Nor can I access any microsoft sites via the internet, the pages simply will not load.  I can access other sites though no problem.  So it seems the XP Pro OS is working properly with the exception of validation.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

If this is a counterfeit version I asume I need to alert the authorities to the etailer.

Regards

Justin Miles

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:25 PM

Answers

• JD_Miles,

Sometimes it is easier and quicker to just "blow it up and start over" rather than be a hero and spend hours and days trying to figure out what's wrong.

If you want to do a clean installation, there is no need for anything other than your genuine XP CD.  XP Setup can delete partitions, repartition and reformat the disk all from within Setup.

Here are two good tutorials:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Just remember to back up and offload anything you can't afford to lose, as a clean installation normally destroys all user data on the hard disk drive.

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:18 PM

All replies

• JD_Miles,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

If your computer can't download it, ask a friend to email the file to you.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Hello, many thanks for your reply.

Step 1.
    I downloaded the diagnostic tool but the new OS would not let the copy command work. So I will have to hand type:-.
    Validation status: Not activated
    Detailed status:  N/A
    Product Key: *********
    Product key hash:  EIGorp4q1KzcyGdWfkHUNo39Ko=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2269243-53031
    Windows Product ID type: 3  -  OEM System Builder
    Windows OS Version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    ID:   76a5071f-96d5-4547-8652-12df1562ff67
    Administrator: Yes
    AutoDial:  No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version:  Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Signed by: Microsoft
    Product name: N/A
    Architecture:  N/A
    Build lab:  N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diag:

Step 2
    XP Professional Version 2002 with SP2
    Software says "OEM Software"
    Finally this does seem like a learning curve as looking at the label and checking your site info for the first time shows that this is "Small Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs" version. That is the label I have.

Also how should the hologram on the CD look because the more I look at it the more suspicious I become or maybe thats just paranoia.

Is this enough information?

Thanks

Justin

Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:16 PM
  • JD_Miles,

Right now the mgadiag utility is showing your XP installation as Not Activated.  Please see this MS KB to help you activate: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890  If automated online activation does not work, do a Telephone Activation.

The WGA system does not "kick in" until the XP installation is activated.

If you would like to see examples of counterfeit software, see the counterfeit gallery here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Post back to let us know how you are doing

Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Many thanks for the reply.
    I'm not having much luck though.  The error message I get comes up before the validation screen so I never get the phone number for validation come up and I can't get any details. 
    I was wondering whether I should be doing a fresh install so I was going to use fdisk to repartition and prepare the master drive for a fresh install but I cannot get fdisk to work.  Could you remind me in simple basics how I activate fdisk?  Thank you.

Justin
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:49 PM
  • JD_Miles,

Sometimes it is easier and quicker to just "blow it up and start over" rather than be a hero and spend hours and days trying to figure out what's wrong.

If you want to do a clean installation, there is no need for anything other than your genuine XP CD.  XP Setup can delete partitions, repartition and reformat the disk all from within Setup.

Here are two good tutorials:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Just remember to back up and offload anything you can't afford to lose, as a clean installation normally destroys all user data on the hard disk drive.

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Many thanks for your assistance,

I'm getting on with it now.

I'm sure it will be fine but if for any reason there is a further problem then I may be back. lol.

Take it easy folks.

Justin

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:27 PM
  • JD_MIles,

You're welcome!  Good Luck in the future.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:12 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-8KXFW-3K9FK-RWWX3
    Windows Product Key Hash: Or6HJVdPx2bV8gcgBoM2E5yQM30=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4593894-23401
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {129A83B8-8349-4577-9359-231195ABC773}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{129A83B8-8349-4577-9359-231195ABC773}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RWWX3</PKey><PID>55274-640-4593894-23401</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-1532298954-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7211</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>19060609000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>54A938D70184204D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central European Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57051</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:46 AM
  •  

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Good Morning MiMi08,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Good Morning Smart PC,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:34 PM