WHS VAIL 2011 Automatic Reboot Upon Expiration RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, I did not listen to the warnings, but can anyone still save me. My Vail expired, and I still have information on there that I need. I even bought the new version, and I tried using the product key from there to reactivate, and it said the key appears to be invalid. Any way to put off the reboots, at least until i get the data off?
    Monday, September 5, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• Pull the drives and copy the data. They're standard NTFS partitions.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Please forgive me if I am missing something, but assuming that I could pull the drives out and copy the data....all the files I see are .DAT files? How do I get anything usable out of those?
    Monday, September 5, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I think you are probably looking at a Server backup drive? The data drives are just normal NTFS drives.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 8:17 PM
  • What exactly are you trying to recover? The reboot every hour is intentional and can't be defeated, as far as I know.

Monday, September 5, 2011 8:44 PM
  • My backups are on a Raid array as a separate drive letter. On this drive, I see "data" in a folder called Client Computer Backups, but all files are *.DAT files, and I do not know what to do with those. The file system may be NTFS as you say, but the data is stored in some format that only WHS can access, apparently. The data I need to recover is from a computer, that was, but no longer is a client computer, however, when I click on that computer, it used to show me all the backup sets available to me. However, now, it shows "No Backups Available". Is that also a function of the expiration of the software? HELP!!! 
    Monday, September 5, 2011 11:50 PM
  • It sounds to me like all backups for the computer you want to recover data from have already expired. Windows Home Server automatically expires old backups of home computers to keep the backup database from growing arbitrarily large.

Unfortunately, this means that there is no way to recover any information for that computer from your beta server, no matter what you do.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Ken, so you are of the opinion that although there "seems" to be terrabytes of data in the 'Client Computer Backups' folder, they may just be empty database files that WHS cleared out upon backup expiration for preparation of writing new backups? Also, what is your opinion of this that someone else said?  If you have monitor and keyboard then it's easy. Just insert insert WHS dvd and perform a server recovery, not reinitialization. It will keep all your data intact. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Honestly, I don't commit important data to beta operating systems (common sense, and in addition you were told specifically not to when you installed), so I don't worry about how to recover from an expired beta as a result. It's possible that the backup/restore engine is completely disabled by the expiration of the OS, but I still think it's more likely that your backups, for that particular computer, have expired and been purged. Did you have other computers backed up to that server? "Terabytes" is a lot of data for a single computer...

As for the recovery installation: you can try it. I don't guarantee it will work in your case.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:51 PM