none
Have a page of rules for marking as the answer

Question

• I'm a little confused regarding rules for marking certain answers if grey area is involved.

One recent thread I started with has a question regarding how to tell if an MFC app knows when the view changed.I found the answer I was looking for. One of the replies lead me to look in the right places and some of the code suggested was incorporated into the solution.

However, I encountered a different mechanism for solving the problem. This reply helped, but I can't say it was the definitive answer. here is the link to the thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/261449d0-1383-49ab-9087-f81de4a289e0/mfc-how-to-tell-when-a-different-view-is-set-to-the-active-view-in-an-mdi-application?forum=vcgeneral

Since this reply helped, should I mark it as the answer? Would it be misconduct to mark my own thread as the answer?

This may not be a good place to ask a question like this, but it seemed to be the most appropriate. I just don't know what the rules are in application to a grey area like this and if there was a clear page to look at, that would be nice.

Friday, July 24, 2015 10:24 PM

Answers

• You can have more than one answer. The whole thing about marking answers is to direct a reader to the solution (in title) the quickest method. So if your reply fits then mark it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Trec Apps Friday, July 24, 2015 10:50 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 10:28 PM

All replies

• You can have more than one answer. The whole thing about marking answers is to direct a reader to the solution (in title) the quickest method. So if your reply fits then mark it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Trec Apps Friday, July 24, 2015 10:50 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 10:28 PM
  • There are no rules for marking answers, but there are guidelines. The following is mostly for moderators, but it shows the thinking we want to use.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1059.forum-moderation-guide-managing-posts-and-threads-marking-answers.aspx

Note, as a moderator, I try to not mark my own replies as an answer. This is not an issue for the person that asked the question. Only they know what reply satisfied them.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, July 25, 2015 1:32 AM