none
wrong account RRS feed

• Question

• I used an admin account once on this PC to check some things and now it prompts for that password every time-How do I change it back and sync it to the right account? and yes I am a new to this WHS. tried to unistall and reinstall the connector.. nothing changes. Vista home Prem is the OS this box has.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:28 PM

All replies

• Goto Control Panel->User Accounts->Advanced->Manage Passwords.

In that dialog box identify your server name OR IP (or both) and highlight the entry(ies) and select remove.

--
    Monday, March 22, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Sorry I have looked and looked but there is nothing I can edit in this user account that can resemble an advanced  feature. I have found nothing that links to any server password. I have found my hotmail account and the Live account but nothing more. there is nothing I can remove other then these 2 mentioned accounts. I truely am at a complete loss here!

TY

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:24 PM
  • What OS are you using?  I gave you destructions for Windows XP.

The other way is run in command prompt or run/search from Start:

control keymgr.dll

Which should you give you the dialog you need to go to.   I wasn't clear if you got this to show or if you didn't see your server in this list.

--
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Vista Home Premium And the control keymgr.dll gives me the same hotmail and live account area or access. does nothing to find the Server log on. Sorry!
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:53 PM
  • If its the user account passwords, use

control userpasswords

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Sorry, nope its not under this area. Found this general user password stuff before.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Hmmm lets go back to the beginning, what are you doing exactly to get the password prompt come up?
    --
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Sorry for not responding sooner - Just one of those days when everything else was going on.

Now with this PC the user account is called Tom and that 123456 (lets just say) is the password of the machine I am trying to fix.. When ever I try to connect from this PC (Tom) to the WHS machine it prompts me for the server admin user account password.

1 time I logged into the server from this machine using the server admin account when I was trying to set up the media center connectivity on it and kept getting these errors prompting from the sys tray area. I could not do or get to the admin account privileges to view the prompting issues details unless I logged on the server as an administrator of the server. So I did the admin log on from this PC Tom location as it was prompting me I could do.

Now ever since this, the PC by default is wanting to use the admin log on and file save to the admin account area for everything - backup and everything else as the admin account and password and not the Tom account and Password. I can't get the the Tom account areas on the server any more.  I want to reset this computer account to Tom and the Tom password for the normal account usage and server connection.

The Server is set up for only 1 PC to use the admin account and admin rights. the rest are just users. Right now this PC (Tom) does not do any backups or stuff as the Tom account it is always the admin account and when the Tom PC logs on my Admin account machine is bumped off the server - I get bumped off the server from my Admin account PC. backups are not normal, folders and files areas are not normal...

I have more then 4 computers here each with its own account except these 2 computers are using the admin account when only one should be this admin and the other should be Tom. So how do I change this computer back to just being a user account and that user password? That is the problem I need to fix. 

yes it is confusing but it should not be - there has to be a way to reset the user and password account of this PC and the Server to be in sync with each other and not he overlapping that I am going through. How do I fix this?

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:10 AM
  • Humour me and do a screen grab of:

control userpasswords

and:

control keymgr.dll

On the client PC that is giving you trouble

When you say connect to the server from the PC - you mean accessing a network share like \\server\music ?

--
    Friday, March 26, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Al West - I have to apologies I have been replying to all this online! send me an email to the bytlan account and I will watch for it. I just noticed I had a reply from one of the other senders (did not find yours at all) in the junk folder - I never read anything from there, but I will watch there now and your name.. Sorry! And I use the Windows live connectivity to the hotmail account.

I have the edited screen captures - I run a dual monitor system on a few of these machines so I got to edit the captures - super wide would maybe cover it... however accessing both areas report the control keymgr.dll screens and my various live and hotmail account logging and nothing more. I click the edit function under both and they all basically display the same..  and yes it is the user network share like you mentioned: \\server\music... its about a 3 tero server and 1.5 tero back up on this server.

Thanks!

Friday, March 26, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Al West - I have to apologies I have been replying to all this online! send me an email to the bytlan account and I will watch for it. I just noticed I had a reply from one of the other senders (did not find yours at all) in the junk folder - I never read anything from there, but I will watch there now and your name.. Sorry! And I use the Windows live connectivity to the hotmail account.

I have the edited screen captures - I run a dual monitor system on a few of these machines so I got to edit the captures - super wide would maybe cover it... however accessing both areas report the control keymgr.dll screens and my various live and hotmail account logging and nothing more. I click the edit function under both and they all basically display the same..  and yes it is the user network share like you mentioned: \\server\music... its about a 3 tero server and 1.5 tero back up on this server.

Thanks!

You could just upload your pics to a pic-sharing website (i.e. flickr), then post links to the pics here.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:55 AM
  • Also alt-printscreen captures the current window - you can always edit screen grabs in paint before uploading.
    --
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Sorry, don't have a pic share site, don't know flicker...

Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:39 AM